Big Sandy slabs,pics& more pics

• palisade1kid

I should add that on BSL 20 fish in 1 day is a great day.

Dereck if you want to split it up sure.
    I’d say to hit BSL from 7:30 – 12 then hit Gun from 12:30 -dark.
    How does that sound?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

That would work..

lamarboarder911
    maple grove mn

hey keith on french did you catch any big slabs out there? i havent for a few years now. but there is a lake in that area that we slayed big ones on last weekend. thanks

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

That would work..

I might have to go on that one I’ve never took two Big Guns like you guys down on 2 different lakes in one day before…. ……it’s a chance anyway..

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

I know of other lakes were I’ve caught 12″ blue gills & have released all of them to fight another day.

Pictures please I have never seen a Bluegill that actually measured 12 inches when put on a tape.

huskywilly

you are right, we are all in the same family, sportsman. The most fih i saw in any of your pictures was 11, and there was you and another guy in it. nothing wrong with that. Granted you weren’t the most clear in your message when all of this started, however i didn’t feel the need to berate you in front of everybody, and if i did i would have called you out in a little more private setting. Another thing, alot of people that made the wrong assumptions about keith have apologized and that’s great, i realize the only reason everyone got so hot is because we absolutely love the resources that this state has and as everyone knows conservation is key. What makes me mad is when you’re walking off the ice and you see a bunch of little fish just laying there it’s a complete waste let’s focus on getting those c**ks*****s. That’s the last of my rant, Keith i was wondering if you ever went to the Fishermans Bay? i used to know the owner, Brian. I used to go to mcgregor with my old boss, another Brian and his buddy Tim when i lived in buffalo, I helped them guys build their cabins on what i think is co rd 36? 35? it’s like 5 miles north of fishermans bay on 65 and a mile west on, i think it’s 35 or 34 or 33 i can’t remember, anyway good luck fishin’ everyone

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I know of other lakes were I’ve caught 12″ blue gills & have released all of them to fight another day.

Pictures please I have never seen a Bluegill that actually measured 12 inches when put on a tape.

I’ve only seen one. And that one is hanging on the wall of a Gun lake homeowner. State record for sure that he didnt want to report.

huskywilly

sorry keith it’s not west of 65 it’s east of it, (cabins) the only reason i ask is my old boss an his buddy go in there all the time (fishermans bay) just wonderin

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey Kieth,

any reports comming from portage lake or damn lake in kimberly?? i used to fish them lakes alot in the winter, they were easy lakes to bike to.

you sure do catch alot of nice slabs and it is good to hear that you do practice CPR (catch, photo, release), if you are doing so well, make a report on how to catch the big crappies through the ice, take pictures, I know that I am jealous of them keepers that you have caught and released. but anyway, good to see that not all of your feelings got hurt too bad!!

thanks for sharing and keep posting.

shane

timmy

Kieth – How big are those jigs? I know the weights, but physically how long are they? You buy the raw heads, or pour them.

Tim

palisade1kid

Well to start with i’ve only had my digital for 6 months & those 12″ers came in the spring after ice out the year before last. We go this little lake during the mid summer after it gets hot & eyes go deep. We look for top water action & every once in a while i’ll toss a sassy shad on a 1’4 oz jig trying for some pike. Well those monster gills hit that to.

I have witnesses & to be honest I never put a tape on them.

they were a heck of a lot bigger than Dudes 11″er.

I see a ton of fish every year & I know my sizes. I see many guys go I’m getting pounders when the are 5/8th’s to 3/4’s of a pound.

A 12″ slab barely chimes in to a pound.

As to PB,tease-tease-tease. I’d love to have you again. Not many gentlemen like you around.Oh you’ve been to that lil lake were the gills are & if you come up again earlier we should have a good chance at them this spring.

I pour my own & if I’m busy I’ll buy them from my neighbor.

I have got some nice slabs from French during early ice.

Most lakes if they have mules in it will give them up early or late ice.

I guess I go to sandy looking for the real monsters.I’m looking for a 17″or a 18″ & now that I have my digital for posterity I’ll have pics.

I bought it because of the non believers.It was getting old hearing how full of it I was ,so I spent the dough.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

A 12″ slab barely chimes in to a pound.

huh

palisade1kid

Scott,
    I was meaning to say that a 12″ crappie is about a pound in weight.
    Maybe a few ounces over if they are fatter.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

That makes sense. I would still love to see what a 12 inch Gill looks like

palisade1kid

I’ll add for the ones I’ve weighed with a digital scale.
    I was seeing a pound 2 oz to a pound 4 oz.

lamarboarder911
    maple grove mn

thanks kieth, i believe that you have been catching 17s up there in the spring. thanks again.

palisade1kid

The last one was caught x-mas day at sunset last year.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Quote:

That makes sense. I would still love to see what a 12 inch Gill looks like

I would guess a 12 inch bluegill would push 2 pounds.

lamarboarder911
    maple grove mn

i meant to say i have caught them in the spring up there, my bad.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Heres what a 12 inch bluegill looks like

What a beast. Look at the knot on this ones head.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Heres another one.

huskywilly

what’s up slider, this is vid07, blaine. My fish house is going to be done this week (i had wheels put under it 7’1/2 by 8′) and since it is going to be getting colder this week i think i’m going to put the sucker on the ice next weekend. I need some advice on where to put the thing, i was just out on crooked lake off of bunker lake blvd and round lake blvd, saw lots of sunnies (small) and i caught a 16” largemouth, then towards 3:30 i caught a glimpse (on the aqua vu) of a decent walleye. I was alone about 200 yds from the landing, there were a dozen or so houses way out there where the lake kind of doglegs to the left (i didn’t really feel like walking way out there) i don’t know i figure i saw all that action just kind of screwing around with my flasher and aqua vu i thought it might be a decent spot that’s close to home, i guess i’m just looking for your input, od you know anything about crooked lake? Go any other ideas? I sure would appreciate any input you could give me? p.s. i tried ham lake the other day didn’t really like it, there’s alot of bullheads in there. Thanks alot i’ll look forward to hearing from you! VID.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

vid, you should go to coon lake instead of crooked. I haven’t seen any decent fish come out of there for a couple of years, since the water level dropped. makes it really hard to launch your boat as well.

shane

palisade1kid

yup,that’s what they look like.When you can put your thumb all the way in their mouth and still have not have your thumb touch either side of their mouth,then you got a dandy gill.
    I’m not lieing about what I get.No sense to it.
    I’ll be shooting a pic of all monsters caught from here on Out as my camera is now standard gear.
    We really need more snow to get the water levels up so when spring comes it’ll be easier to find them in their usual haunts.
    The 1st 3 weeks after ice out are my favorite times for huge pannnies.

scottsteil
    Central MN

That is a dandy Derek!! Who is the guys with the hat on backwards, that is an impressive fish

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Not sure, its a fish from Alabama.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

That’s a nice southern bream!!!!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Heres the world record. 15 inches long. 3 1/2 inch girth, 12 inches high. 5 pounds.

But, it was grown in a 3 acre Georgia pond.

palisade1kid

Unreal!
    5 lb’s oh my. I’d be so beside myslef with something like that.
    I did not think God made them that big.
    When I see 12″er’s I come unglued.I’d really be a basket case with a bull like that.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.