Ice Fishing Article: Plastics

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I wrote this article for an ice fishing piece a friend of mine is producing. I still have some work to do on it, but here she is:

Plastics Under the Ice
    I am now a believer in plastics for ice fishing. Over the last few years I have been spending numerous hours out on the ice. I have become confident with using my GPS, camera, and flasher to locate and catch fish. Most of my trips are to West Rush Lake and St. Cloud area lakes. West Rush Lake has an incredible panfish population, but most of the crappies, bluegills, and perch run small. With that said, on a regular basis I can go out and catch 50+ fish in a half day and return home with some fish for the frying pan. My presentation usually consists of a horizontal jig tipped with a wax worm or the occasional euro larva or minnow head. A tear drop jig, small jigging spoon, and dead sticking also have their days. Most of my jigging is done with a very light spring bobber set up to detect the slightest nibble. Over the years I have experimented with Berkley Gulp, ratsos, and other artificial lures. The conclusion has always been that the wax worms produce more that triple the amount of fish. This year I asked the guys at the ice fishing superstore Thorne Bros. to set me up for another attempt at using plastics. After exploring my options I went with the Little Atom wedgees in a few different colors. I have tested them twice this year, and they have worked great. I have been feeding them on the hook of a #12 Marmooska jig, and the motion is truly unbelievable. A tap on the rod sends a wave of action through the entire plastic. The crappies, perch, and bluegills have been pounding this set up. I was worried about the fish spitting the lure, but it has been the complete opposite. I had bluegills and crappies actually swallowing the plastic and jig. On my last trip out I decided to take a scientific approach to the plastic vs. wax worm experiment. I fished for 4 hours switching between plastic and wax worm every 8 half hour segments. I used a white wedgee for the first segment, then wax worm, then red wedgee, back to the wax worm, and repeated this for the last 4 segments. My buddy was kind enough to run the clicker, so I could accurately count. When all was said and done, the wedgees outperformed the wax worm by a score of 52 to 18. The breakdown of white vs. red ended up with white on top with 35/52. I did not monitor the size of the fish, but the white wedgees produced our largest crappie and bluegill of the day. I will continue to have wax worms with me when I go ice fishing, but they have now become my second choice. The plastics require virtually no adjusting between fish making it very nice for quickly getting the bait back down to the fish. I plan on experimenting more with these plastics and others a lot more this season.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Nice article

Wedgee tails from little atom and custom jigs and spins both do the trick for me. You gotta love ’em! I ordered a ton of pink wedgees this year for sight fishing bluegills and crappies. They aren’t exactly the right color, but they will do. The best color IMO is a light bubble gum pink. Worked great for me! I also have become a huge fan of shrimpos from Custom jigs and spins. they are a little pricy per jig, but they sure work! I have been using mostly dark colors lately with black and purple being my favorites. I too agree that some days, the fish really don’t want meat, and your only alternitive is plastic. I had a day first ice this year where everyone around had been out for 5+ hours. They were using waxworms. I got cleaned off with a black shrimpo tipped with a waxie and kept using it as is. They tore that bait up and I out fished everyone around about 10 gills to 1. The size was much better to for my gills. Some guys had bags of 5 or 6 fish, and I wasn’t keeping fish but could have kept 15+ personally. I too am a firm believer of adding plastics to your arsonal!

col._klink
    St Paul

At a $1.10 worth a shot!

Nice write up

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

last year I started using plastics walleye fishing and have good sucess with it. What I do is, well first this line is my dead stick/rattle wheel line in the house but. I have on of those auto jigger you mount on the wall and use that for the motion. So with that I rig my line up like a drop shot rig with a plastic minnow, set the depth so it just off the bottom. Then I rig it into the auto jigger so it only gets jigged maybe a 1/2 to 1 ” non stop.

when watching it in the camera it should just twitch and not get a hole body up and down.

one more step closer to being bait free

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

How about some photos of what you are using?

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Yup. Would appreciate some photos of your jig and your plastic. Sounds like you did a great experiment.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks a bunch for the heads up there Bigfife !!
    Just recently I bought some plastics that are about the same as the Wedgees called PlasTix Ice-Tails.
    These are SUPER supple plastic tails that come in 25 different colors and are scented in anis oil(about 1 1/4″ long).
    I have’nt tried them yet…..NO ICE but they just LOOK like they would work!
    Your sucess is just the inspiration I wanted to hear
    TSCTSC & millerman….Just Google little atom wedgees to see what they look like…..The fellow I bought the Ice-Tails from does not have a web site so I cannot show you what they look like but they are pretty much the same as the Wedgees..
    I can’t wait to give’em a shot!!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Here is a picture of the wedgees. I tried to put some curves in them to show how soft the plastic really is. These things are durable too. I only went through two of each color during the 4 hour experiment.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Yep….Thats what mine look like also

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.