Ham Lake ice

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Made it out to Ham Lake in Anoka county tuesday afternoon for a few hours of fishing. Brought my neighbors son out so he could try out some new fish tackle he got for Xmas. Was hoping to get into some crappies and maybe a northern but all we found where sunnies. At least there where lots of sunnies. Size was typical for Ham Lake. Small.
    Euro larve, light lies and spring bobbers was the trick for catching these sunnies. They where real light bitters but still no match for the spring bobber.
    Ice conditions where all right for walking and maybe 4 wheelers. We found 5 to 8″ where we fished.
    Ham Lake seems to be a good place to take the kids fishing. Plenty of small pan fish to keep them entertained. Might get back there over the weekend and look for crappies again.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Flashers and light tackle will sure help with catching these little fishies. There not to big but plenty good to keep a person entertained.

Any one else been out in the area?

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I wasn’t on Ham lake, but the crappie action was good on North Center lake saturday. I was gettting mostly 9-9.5 inchers, but 10 of that size makes a nice a meal. The best part was only having 8 inches of ice so there was not a ton of people out fishing. The sunfish action was slow for me on both North and South center that day. I did get some good exercise walking to my fishing spot also. There was probably 3 times as many people fishing on South Center than North.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

was in the area the entire weekend..thurs. till sunday 8 to 10 inches of ice…further from the groups we got the bigger the fish we caught what a great crappie bite till people show up than a fish here and there so we went and found our own fish instead

chomps
    Sioux City IA

fish them all, were you just out from the bridge (channel between north and south)? or out from the boat landing? we were going to give that a try, but nobody felt like going out in the rain on Sunday. My folks live on South Center and you are right, there are a ton of people out there. I know the crappie seem to be a bit larger on north, but South’s gills seem to be running a bit larger than other years.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

pwe pulled a 1 pound gill out of pancake saturday and a big 13ish crappie suspended over 40 feet of water sunday moring on kroon to with tons of quality fish everywhere else we tried as well but the presure on s. center was rediculous went and tried the community holes to find much smaller fish

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Chomps, I walked quite a ways North on North Center. Once you find the crappies they are usually pretty thick.

Erick, I have fished Kroon only once, but there seems to lots of hungry fish in that lake. I didn’t get any big ones like your 13 though. Congrats on that fish and the big sunny!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

thanks man…we must have sorted through I do not know how many fish to get fish that big and it was on the lake before 5 AM every day and show up at 4 when everyone was leaving again to avoid the crowds as mucha s possible to get a good bite

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.