Will I have decent ice in the LAX area

• jld
    Holmen

With temps forecasted for 42 Sat and 38 Sunday along with some light rain will the ice be good enought to fish New Year’s Day?? This is getting old, I never thought I would say this but we need some sub zero weather and then a little snow. Or am I better off digging out the boat for some open water fishing?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Depends on what you are comfortable walking on. The shorelines have not had a good chance to freeze all year and they will be the first to go. It is going to depend on how much rain we get also. I will bet 3 inches of good ice will still be found in some areas New Years. It will be areas like Fishermans Rd., Goose Island, Shady Maple (which you never hear of anymore) and maybe Stoddard yet. I would imagine in front of Shaffer’s there will still be good ice. Just need to watch out for the run off at the bottom of the ramp.

At least it is going to start freezing up at night again after New Years. It feels like I have been walking on egg shells all year so far
    Good luck and be safe.

Bret

jld
    Holmen

Does anybody know if the boat landing at Dresbach is open up again? Did I read somewhere that 7th Street is open also? The more I think about it may be time to get the boat out or take a road trip to Evert’s to get some of those Reel Weeds and check this place out that I have read some much about. Sounds like a guy can pick up some product REAL cheap if he brings alcohol and treats or treats with alcohol in them.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Dresbach upper landing is open.
    No walkable ice at 7th St.

Evert’s is a good place to stop in You will not find better people
    Make sure to take the boat

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

My wife and I were out yesterday in the La Crosse area and had a good solid 3 -5″ of ice in sheltered areas. By late afternoon walking off the top was starting to feel soft to the spud and the shorelines were erroding . Like Bret said it will depend alot on the amount of rain. These nights above freezing sure aren’t helping
    Happy New Years everyone and be safe.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

We better have some ice. I just took all the traps from the truck and replaced them with the shack, spud, and hand auger I am officially ready to start the ice season

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Not exactly an ice making forecast.

This Afternoon: A 30 percent chance of rain or drizzle. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 40. East wind around 6 mph.

Tonight: A 30 percent chance of rain or drizzle, mainly after midnight. Areas of fog before midnight. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 36. East wind between 5 and 9 mph.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of light rain. Cloudy, with a high near 44. East wind between 10 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Saturday Night: Rain likely, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 36. East wind between 16 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday: Periods of rain. High near 40. East wind between 14 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday Night: A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 34.

New Year’s Day: A chance of rain and snow. Areas of fog before noon. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Monday Night low of 22

Tuesday Night low of 24

Wednesday Night low of 27

We will be alright a little longer

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

There you go Bret-Look at the bright side

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.