Faribuilt Area-Shields/French/Clear Lakes

• jrcunning1

Heading over towards OWatonna on New Year’s day, Anoyone got any info for over in that area. Will be looking for eye’s, craps & big toothy critters. Any help would be greatly appreciated…Will be heading over from Rochester..
    Drop me a PM or email @ [email protected]..
    Thanks in advance…Jim

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Bohemian Bay at Shields lake is always a good producer. You generally have pike, bass, crappies, and sunnies in there. I’d focus on the north side of the bay, close to the mouth to the lake. Drill some holes till you find fish!

But be aware of a spring that flows into the lake on the north side of that bay. You should see it, but be aware of dangerously thin ice there!!!

I haven’t been down there yet this year, but we use to be able to park right off the gravel road, in the ditch, leading to the lake. I know there used to be “no parking” signs around there, but again, I haven’t been there yet this year.

jrcunning1

Bump-Talked to the guy over in Shieldsville at the bait shop & he said there is anywhere from 6-9-12″ (in the bays) and the northern & crappied/gills are all hitting pretty good….Anyone else have any info….Gonne make a long day of it tomorrow..Leaving Roch around 5:00 am…

jrcunning1

Gary (and others),
    Made the trip over on New Year’s day…Got up at 4:30 and headed over with the best intentions. Got just a couple words for you….BR CAREFUL if any of you are heading out there. Atleast on Shields or Masaska…That ice is SKETCHY at best…Tried shoreline ice and within one or steps, I had a wet boot. Decided to head over to French and found 6-8″ or better of nice solid ice. The fishing was exceptionally slow (I think due to the front/weather that came thru in the last couple days). Caught a few small perch & some shiners..Lemme tell you those shiners clean up nice (ha ha)…Tried waxies, spoons tipped with minnows (and just heads),pretty much everything in the box. Marked a TON of fish on the FL-8. The larger ones were just a bunch of tire kickers.
    But on a high point, a bunch of guys a couple hundred yards away from us (we were fishing on the south side of French) pulled a 45″ muskie up thru the hole…What a monster!
    Anyway, just be careful over there….That is about it..Jim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.