Pool 8 Backwaters Ice Fishing Report 12/26/06

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The ice is shaping up nicely with there being a solid 4-6 inches. Camp 22 is producing mid size crappies with a few nicer ones thrown in the mix early morning. The bite is just below the ice. Chart. Little Cecil and Shrimpos both caught fish. Broadwaybob had the nicest crappies of the day using a large eye with a jig dropped about 8 inches below. The flashing eye called the fish in, and then they took his jig! With a crowd moving in and a lot of spud noise going on the fish went for bottom and caught a case of lock jaw. We loaded up and headed for a more secluded area. It was time anyways for Bob to head back to Tomah were his family was visiting for Christmas. Nice to meet you Bob

JP Mason and I were set up again outside of the crowd around noon. We caught several small crappies. JP was the stick to beat on the second spot, getting into a few nice sized perch (12-13 inches) and a 16.5” Walleye. I landed plenty small crappies, a 16 inch eye, and a snot rocket. The bite was much better when away from the crowd! We were fishing in 11fow using Little Cecils. Black was JP’s producer and I was using Purple. The fish were tight to the bottom but if you could coax them up 2 feet they were committed to hitting your bait.

Good luck fishing People!

scottgill
    kenosha wi

nice report. anything going on at stoddard. and where is camp 22 thanks for the help

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

22 is off Fishermans Rd by the airport. It is just below the spillway.
    There was a 100 plus cars at Stoddard the other day. The report I heard was they are catching some smaller gills and a few 8 inchers.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Yep stoddard’s nothing special. I waited it out the whole day and didn’t do much. Probably 8 or so nice bluegills over 8″ and one small keeper crappie. Didn’t take any for the pan…I don’t know where I’ll be at tomorrow but hopefully 7th street….
    Good luck guys

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I’m not talking about the landing part…but I hear its too thin anyway where I want to be.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I was going to swing that way today Cade to see what it looks like. I can’t imagine there being much ice in there yet I will let you know what I find or if you beat me to it…..save me a trip

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

keep me updated Bret. I want to check it out tomorrow. I agree, It can’t be good, but there isn’t much current going thru this year, and it was frozen all the way across 4″ when i was out there a couple weeks ago. It barely ever froze in the middle out there last year because of the current.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The big problem there is the water is DEEP A fall there and you aren’t going to touch bottom
    The last few days have not made any ice at all, more like melted more than it is making
    But, you already know to watch yourself if you go over there. Hopefully it is good and you can pull some decent sized fish out of there

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I know right where it is………..how much it it worth to ya

Watson’s right there Cade….be careful !!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

checked it out tonight and couldn’t find any safe way to get on, i think i need bretts pogo stick and another 3 inches of ice to land on, 7th street has horribal ice conditions right now, you won’t be seeing me out there, it looks like there could be some solid ice in the middle but you would have to swim to get to it…

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I know right where it is………..how much it it worth to ya
    Watson’s right there Cade….be careful !!

The spot is no secret in LaCrosse. It is a community hole

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

so true Bret…so true
    It’s strange too…
    The same spots have had fish ever since I was a kid……And that’s a LONG time ago
    I was probably fishing that area when Cade’s DAD was a kid.
    But since I moved to the north side of town I’ve been concentrating on the lake and Black river.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I stepped out on 4 inches of ice tonight after work I couldn’t resist the temptation to just walk around with a jig stick armed with a swedish pimple to check things out. There were plenty of open holes to choose from. My first drop produced an 11 inch crappie. After some bouncing around and catching dinks, one more crappie at 11 inches hit the pimple on a drop. Made for some quick fun after work
    Hope they are still hanging around in the morning!!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I did the same…. went to the lake..
    Was out for about 2 hrs and never saw a fish on the flasher nor any bites.Covered a lot of ground too.
    Ice is the same..about 4in but in reasonable shape..
    slicker than heck though
    Maybe I’ll try Lawrence in the am

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

but you weren’t at 7th right Bret? If there’s 4″ on “swift creek” i’ll be there tomorrow!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

7th is out of the question for me right now Cade

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.