Strikemaster won’t cut!

• deerdragger

I’m having a heckova time…purchased a 7″ Mora Strikemaster hand auger this summer at a garage sale. For $5 I accepted the fact that the blades were dull.

I just swapped the blades out for a pair of re-sharpened blades at the local bait shop. Mounted ’em up and headed to the ice eager to get after some crappies. Much to my dismay, the darn thing would only spin on the ice – barely shaving a round bowl into the surface. The blades are razor sharp.

I tried shimming them a bit – no difference.

Has anyone ever ran into this? It’s a fairly new auger and there is no evidence that the thing is bent or anything.

PLEASE ADVISE!

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I don’t know if this will mean anything to you but I had a Mora hand auger. One day on Foster Arends some kids came up to me and asked if they could use it and I graciously..apprehensively…let them use it. The dang kids proceeded to hammer the auger on the ice to break the ice off the auger bit…needless to say it stopped working….it doesn’t take much to bend the blade mounts.

shayla

Dumb question, but I have to ask….are the blades mounted properly? Sometimes you can mount them upside down or the less rounded end facing the wrong direction. Were the blades sharpened by someone that knows what they are doing? Reason I ask if because I took an old pair to a bench grinder once and sharpened them, unknowingly changing the pitch of the cutting edge. They looked great, nice and shiny, but they wouldn’t cut thru melted butter! Check those things out and see how it goes!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I had this happen to me, the problem that I had found was that the re-sharpened blades where resharpened at the wrong angle and it would sit and spin and not cut a darn thing, I went to fleet farm and baught a brand new pair of blades and put them on the auger, cut like a dream, my best advice I can give you is stay away from resharpened ones and just buy new ones. they are a little bit more $$$ but then you don’t run into this problem on the lake when you want to use the darn thing.

shane

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

I had the same problem when I tried to sharpen my blades.. took them to shorty in kellogg and exchanged for a resharpened blades, works great….

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Sounds like the blades are out of pitch to me.. its very common when people insist on smacking the blades down on the ice to get a hole started.

If you live near big lake, strikemaster will repitch the auger.

Even lazers will eventually get out of pitch where you have to almost sit on it to go anywhere.. with the blades properly picthed, it will drill like new.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

D’Rock center in Arden Hills will also.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Strikemaster does not recommend using resharpened blades on their augers…..buy new ones instead….you also need to read the label (or name) on the blades otherwise they will NOT cut…Also chances are that the augers pitch is not in line anymore….once an this happens to an auger its tough to get them to cut properly again…They will cut fine for a few holes, but will eventually go back to being off pitch again!!!

I hope this helps!!

Otherwise check with Strikemaster!!!! Excellent customer service!!!

deerdragger

Thanks for the insights…I’m taking the resharpened blades back to the bait shop (Ben’s Bait in Grand Rapids) today. I’ll likely grab a new set of blades and go from there.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

just swapped the blades out for a pair of re-sharpened blades at the local bait shop.

This is your problem. Strikemaster blades are not meant to be resharpened. Take the auger in the Strikemaster and have the blades changed out on the exchange program.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

one easy step to mounting you should be able to read the stapped mark that says mora and the size of the auger. The blank side should mount directly to the auger. hope this works i had the same problem until someone told me this.

deerdragger

I swapped out the blades w/ new ones and it works like a charm. Let that be a lesson to me – Lazer blades can’t be resharpened (by anyone other than StrikeMaster).

Thanks for the insights – very helpful.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.