marcum Flashers

• amarble_eye

hey can the Marcum VXR detect fish through the ice? or is it that it can only tell the dept through the ice? please respond and let me know please.

Peng

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Peng- all flashers have the ability to detect fish through the ice- I do it all the time with my lx-5. How “true” of a reading you get, will depend on ice thickness, clarity, and things of that nature.

You will also need to use a water bottle to pour over the ice where you will be “shooting through”..this helps the transducer work better when shooting through the ice.

If you have good, clear ice- you will be able to detect fish while shooting through the ice.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Luke, I think the VXR is a hand held unit?

I think they do detect fish, but I dont think they tell you how deep. I know some of the handheld units do, I cant recall which one.

As luke stated, clear ice is much easier to read through, and the readings will be better(true), I wouldnt depend on any flasher to tell me if there are fish down there through cloudy or thick ice without drilling a hole unless its crystal clear.. but its already a huge head start knowing the depth, and inspecting the structure before ever starting to drill.

eyebuster
    Duluth

Quote:

Luke, I think the VXR is a hand held unit?

The VXR is the cabelas unit that marcum makes it is equivelant to a lx-1 i believe. I have not tried reading through the ice but It does go through the hull of a boat so I am sure it will go through Ice with a little help that Luke mentioned.

scottsteil
    Central MN

LX-i Handheld sonar for shooting through the ice
    VX-1 3 Color Flasher
    VXR 3 Color Flasher

The VX-1 and VXR are similar units. The VX-1 is a MarCum product new for 2006 the VXR is a Cabelas/Gander Mountain name brand product that was sold in 2005. The VXR was basically the first generation VX-1.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.