Lake Trout

• mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

any one know of a good lake to try to catch some nice lake trout at in Minnesota? and what are some good things to use? I have done a little but I think 14″ is the biggest I have ever cought! I would love to take a trip some time this winter for some big lakers

shayla

I’m sure, being from Mora, you’ve already heard of Grindstone? Haven’t been there in years, but used to do quite well on Lakers there. A real good choice is Roosevelt in Outing, Mn….lots of whoppers in there, too! Those are the two that come to mind a little closer to home. There’s one up on the range that’s supposed to be real good, I think catch-n-release only, by Chisolm…I think it’s actually called “Trout Lake”? I’ve seen it on Ron Schara’s show a couple of times and it looks like fun. If you are into Splake, theres a couple good lakes right in Silver Bay behind the water tower….just hike up over the hill and you’ll see them on the other side….going from memory, but I think they are called “Twin Lakes”. Anyhow, I’ve caught some real nice splake in there fishing only 10-20′ from shore. Aside from those, I would make the trip up to Snowbank in Ely or Gunflint in Grand Marais……or the shrangi-la….Canada. (The Longlac area has lots of remote lakes packed full of giant lakers!) Good Luck, let us know how it goes? Oh, and try Tofte up out of Ely, also!

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

yeah I try to make it out to grindstone every year but I can never seam to find any big fish there I made it up to burntside lake near ely once but ended up calng that trip short after totaling out my truck I might have to try some place new drop a line if you want to run to a lake some time

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

well now that the lake trout season is under way again I think it is about time to head up to grindstone again if anyone want to meet up drop me a pm and we can plan it, thanks

thegun
    mn

White tube jigs in the 1/2 to 1 oz size seems to work well!
    buck tail jigs in the same sizes also work! tip them with some cisco and your good to go! drop them to the bottom jig a few times and then pause! if nothing real up 5 feet of line and repeat until you cover the whole water column! then redrop to bottom and do it all over again!

were heading up into ontario to do some trout fishing in feb! its a lot of fun!

good luck!

herefishyfishy
    MN

grindstone lake near sandstone??any lake info fron dnr or anywhere on that?

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

unfourntly I am not going to make it to grindstone now for a few weeks oh well the DNR does have some info for grindstone, however I did hear that ppl are fishing it, but I wouldn’t cross country it too much, ice reports are poor for the most part, deffinetly no driveing out there at all! sorry I couldn’t report of better conditions, if anyone goes please post what you find

bigpike

This may seem a little obvious but wouldn’t lake superior be your best option for big lakers in Minnesota? Nothing better than fresh smoked laker….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.