Rochester ice conditions?

• tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

Would like to go out this pm and try, is the ice still decent?

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

I second that question, but for tomorrow

jrcunning1

Guys,
    From what I have seen, the ice is ok….Was out couple times last week & encountered 5-6″ of good ice..That was only at 1 resevoit though (that wil remain nameless)…DId hammer the perch and some REALLY nice crappies….
    Where you headin’??? Send me a PM if you want or drop me an e-mail @ [email protected]…..Jim

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Mike [HOF] Smith and I spent the day down by Wabasha, Mn. fishing the backwaters along the dike road across the bridge from Wabasha and between Wabasha and Nelson Wisconsin. The ice where we were was 6-8 inches and we were basicly in no current areas.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

From talking to several people, I will go out on a limb and say the ice is fairly good in many locations. 4-6 inches seems to be common around Rochester, with the exception being Lake Zumbro which is not considered safe enough to cross just yet. The areas to be very cautious are the normal areas that tend to have thinner ice due to springs or any other reasons. I think using a spud bar to check ice thickness ahead of where you will be walking and not going alone to new areas where no one else is fishing is always a good idea. Be careful and get out to enjoy some ice fishing!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

thanks guys, going out this weekend and try..HAPPY NEW YEAR

jrcunning1

Guys, went to 3 of the local ponds yesterday and here are my reports:
    -Silver Creek: was met by the sheriff at the gate (east side), was told yet again that we can’t walk to the dike & go up and over. Went over and parked in the lot on the south side..Ice on the east side is REALLY sketcky…Got out about 20′ on the ice & made a REAL quick shuffle back to shore. Didn’t even get out that way
    -Willow Creek: OPEN WATER on about half, no-one else there, didn’t want to chance it with my son
    -KR-7: Decent ice (6″ or so), still some open water over towards east end but the ice is GOOD by the drain..Caught some NICE perch and one BIG gill about 30 yards from drain (but you can SKIP keeping the big gills…WORMY!!! Yuck!!) Early they HAMMERED gem-n-eyes with a was but had to go to jig, waxie & slip bobber. About 10′ of water & they were TIGHT to the bottom (but would come up with some coaxing)

There is what I got fer ya……Jim

StaleMackrel

Finger Lakes ice thickness report. Yesterday, 12-27-06 I was on the Finger Lakes and had trouble getting off of 1st Lake coming back at 3:30. It was the shore ice that was the problem. Be very careful as the spud went through the ice a few times and with this weather I personally would not go accross it again until some real cold weather sets in!

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Finger Lakes ice thickness report. Yesterday, 12-27-06 I was on the Finger Lakes and had trouble getting off of 1st Lake coming back at 3:30. It was the shore ice that was the problem. Be very careful as the spud went through the ice a few times and with this weather I personally would not go accross it again until some real cold weather sets in!

I would probably walk the dike to the lakes instead of cutting across the first lake. I had the same problem with the shoreline last time I was there.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.