Are you prepared to fall through?

• fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I know there are many out there that do not think much about falling through or that it will never happen to them. Take it from a guy who has fallen through twice. You never know when it might happen. Both times I fell through there was no warning. It just happened. The first time I fell through the temp was around zero and there was plenty of ice except the one place I happened to be walking which happened to be over the top of a spring that I was not aware of. The second time was getting off of the ice on what had been a very good day of fishing on a New Years Eve day. After my second fall through I became very careful about walking on any ice no matter how thick most of it might be. I was lucky both times to have survived. Believe me that one cannot be too-careful. Please use extreme caution.

Eyehunter

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

You guys up north usually have a long period of time where there is little danger. Those of us down south (Nebraska, South Iowa, and Kansas) have to think about this stuff all winter. We can have ice less than 5 inches of ice all winter!! Our ice has already came and gone once this year!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ditto the no warning….

big g

gat
    Glopaint,Capital Northwest Wisc.

My kid just told me yesterday his buddy fell through on Balsam lake yesterday with his 4-wheeler iceauger and vexilar able to retrieve the wheeler and vexilar but going back to look for the auger today with cameras, so be careful over the holidays and be safe

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I got my own personal floatation device.It’s name is Chris “I can’t swim with you on my shoulders” Tuckner……..

ozzyky
    On water

All I can say is it’s a shock to the system when you go through. I was walking out on a lake and just took 2 steps past another groups tip ups and down I went. For those of you who have played sports it’s kind of like that sticking the ankle in the ice bucket feeling except on the whole body.

Good pts on the video.

eddielee
    Dubuque, Iowa

Several years ago I was pulling a boat across the ice below the Guttenberg Dam and went in just past the Bullnose. Had a life jacket on and was holding the rope so I stopped at eye level. The feeling of no bottom and all that current rushing out the hole past my ears is one that will stay with me for a very long time. Several people had just crossed ahead of me with no rope or life jackets. Guess I hit just the right or wrong spot.
    Paul

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I don’t think you are ever really prepared to fall through the ice. I fell through once last year on first ice. Then I fell through this year while trapping. I have never carried any safety gear when I know I should.
    The first time through, I was able to get out on my own and get to the truck in short time. The second time (this year), if I hadn’t had somebody with me, I am not sure how I would have gotten out on my own.
    You can never truely prepare for what cold water feels like when you first feel it. It makes you take a huge gulp of air. Once you get past that, then you really feel the cold water start to take effect on the skin and it is almost painful. I have never been in the water for more than a minute or so and I can’t imagine what that would feel like.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Back when I was young and stupid, my friend and I used to be the first ones on the ice in winter and the last ones on it in the spring. Needless to say, I went through a few times. 8 times to be exact. 6 in water less than 5 feet deep and twice where it was way over my head. Every time sucked, and every time freaked me out when the ice gave way. That initial blast of cold water always felt like a kidney punch in conjunction with a strong punch to the stomach that you didn’t see coming. The 8th time was no less of a surprise than the first time.

Carry ice pics or screwdrivers, on your person, not in your sled. You need to be able to reach them to use them. Speaking from experience, they work pretty well. You can never be too careful either.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

One question!

A number of posters have said…”Be careful” but if there is no warning as some posters have said, how can a person be careful?

Stay off the ice? Not an option!

I’ve never gone in…put my motorcycle in once but that’s another story.

So some of you guys have gone in 8 times…are you not being “careful”. <scratching my head graemlin>

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Most of the times I think people fall in because they get too “comfortable” walking on ice. This last time that I went through, was just plain not being careful. I thought I saw something through the ice that wasn’t really there and just hopped off the ledge and onto the ice. That was just a very bad move on my part.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

So some of you guys have gone in 8 times…are you not being “careful”. <scratching my head graemlin>

I must refer back to my comment on being young and stupid. I haven’t fallen through in about 15 years. I’ve become old and chicken. I no longer want to be the first guy on the ice, and if I am at all unsure of what the ice is like, I call wiskerkev and follow him out on the ice about 20 yards behind him.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I call wiskerkev and follow him out on the ice about 20 yards behind him.

Gotcha…I do the same thing with Mike at Hooked on Fishing. I don’t really pay attention to the ice thickness…as long as Mike’s leading the way!

Some call me silly, some call me other things….but I wear my pfd under my jacket. Keeps me warmer and is there if I get in trouble. Ice picks in the pocket always.

Wats, you better get some picks for your jacket. I know think any muskrats are going to help you out of the drink!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.