Reeds custom made ice fishing rod

• millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

I was up at the Brainerd Reeds for the first time ever a few weeks ago. I had a St. Croix combo in my hands and was about to check out when I came across Reeds custom made rod. Apparently they make a new one each year, and of course they said this was the best one ever. It was 39.99 so for 10 more bucks I thought I would try it out since I already have a few St. Croix rods. I bought the “very light” set up, I believe its 24 inches. It came with the “panfish popper” already attached and I added 2lb floroice pline.
    I was up on Lake Bemidji last weekend and was catching a few perch. They were fairly aggressive, but a few of the smaller ones (7-8 inches) were actually finicky. I had never used the panfish popper before but when those small fish even thought about touching the minnow the end of the panfish popper was bending down. I did have a 560 running, so I didn’t really need the extra help from the popper, because I could actually see when the fish had the hook in their mouth. But, when the camera wasn’t facing my jig, I would guess the popper helped me catch at least half again as many fish as the other people in my house were catching.
    Also, the rod was a ton of fun reeling up the perch. I can’t wait to use this set up on Mille Lacs this winter when the perch start to get finicky. Has anyone had luck with the panfish popper? I think they were 4 bucks for 3 of them, so for a $1.33 its gotta be worth it right?

shaley
    Milford IA

I have the poppers on all my light rods. I got lucky and found 2-3 packs of poppers missmarked for $1.99 each.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.