Okay, got free $$ to spend – Ice Rods

• sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Okay, got a $75 gift card from work for Cabela’s and it just so turns out that I’m in need of new ice fishing poles … as one of my good ones bounced off my ATV this weekend and a couple others are just plain old and not so good. So, I’m looking for a combo rod/reel setup. Or I could buy ’em seperate – whatever gives me the most for the money, I don’t really care.

My question is what do I get? I’ll be fishing exclusively for walleye and perch on Mille Lacs. I’ll be using camera and Vexilar for fishing. I don’t like the really wimpy ones with no backbone at all, but I still want to feel the jig.

Suggestions? I’ll probably run up there tomorrow, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Anything St.Croix!!!! There are plenty to choose from!!

millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

Agreed. I would go with a St. Croix for sure.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nate, (I’m hijacking your thread for a moment )

How’d the MarCum camera do for you? Everything work out?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

St. Croix’s for sure…

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Quote:

Nate, (I’m hijacking your thread for a moment )

How’d the MarCum camera do for you? Everything work out?

Simply outstanding! Nothing more to say other than it was fabulous!

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Thorne Bros. take your pick of either the Perch Sweetheart or the Walleye Sweetheart……either one of these trump any St. Criox.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

trump any St. Criox

Just curious as to how that is?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thorne uses a grade of graphite that is ground like no other blank on the market. They use to use Sage blanks, Sage are high end fly rods. They now use a blank that is even better than Sage and the supplier only sells to Thorne. I use nothing but St.Croix for my open water rods and I have many St.Croix ice rods, but nothing beats a Thorne Sweetheart.

Thorne Rods

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

I would agree w/ the Thorne rods – but Sundogg has a little tiny problem – his post indicates a gift card for Cabelas…

UG

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

Wade I am going to give some input on the camera as well as I was fishing with Sundogg. That thing is unreal! The aqua-vu stopped working when the sun started going down. The Marcum worked in to the dark even without the light on. That camera is head and shoulder’s above anything else I have ever seen.

~SKINEBOY~

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If you are able, call Thorne Bros and see if they will take the card for equal trade????

There is a bunch of guys in that shop, that would surpise me if none could use a gift card to Cabela’s…..

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Simply outstanding! Nothing more to say other than it was fabulous!

Quote:

Wade I am going to give some input on the camera as well as I was fishing with Sundogg. That thing is unreal! The aqua-vu stopped working when the sun started going down. The Marcum worked in to the dark even without the light on. That camera is head and shoulder’s above anything else I have ever seen.

Excellent! (sorry for the hijack boys)

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

No problem Wade,

We’ll take care of you at the GTG.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.