Big spirit ice and fishing?

• foreman
    West Bend, IA

Hey this ice sucks, we need something cold really fast. I was just wondering if anyone has been up to big spirit and had any luck. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

shaley
    Milford IA

7-8″ on Anglers few perch and gills been caught.

live2fish
    Carroll Iowa

Shaley….comin up for xmas, anything fishable on west?, bays or canals?

nwbuck
    Hartley, IA

Heard there was about 6 inches on Little Emerson over the weekend. It’s supposed to get colder over the next few days, so maybe the main bay will be OK before long as well.

shaley
    Milford IA

Thats funny you coming up here and we are going to Carroll for the weekend .
    Anyway buddy called last night said he did good on Little Emerson. You must now buy a pass to use the parking at the church place. He said $5 for the season. I saw 1 shack out on Smiths Sunday morning. Canals I cant say I don’t fish much on West cept for Millers and thats not even close.

Been raining all day here supposed to snow tomarrow. I might get out Friday afternoon and will post ice conditions if I make it.

Best ice I have been on yet has been Anglers.

foreman
    West Bend, IA

I got my oppurtunity to get out and go fishin. A buddy of mine and myself decided to head on over to Anglers Bay where we found about 6-7in of ice on top of 6-8ft of water and caught quite a few small perch and gills. I did happen to bring my aqua view along and i did happen to get my first glimpse of a long nose or gar. Along with some big schools of perch. After fishing in about 8ft of water for most of the day we decided to head for deeper water at about 3:00 pm for some WALLEYES. We walked as far out as we could trust the ice. We ended up finding 14ft of water under 3-4in of ice. It was some sort of sand flats that the walleys were cruison over. I seen probably 14 or 15 really nice fish on my camera but only ended up with 2 18in fish which we returned to the icey depths. I plan on heading up tomorrow or saturday and I hope to see some of you out there.

shaley
    Milford IA

Just an FYI Anglers Bay Resort has now been posted NO TRESPASSIN. Parking is no longer allowed at the resort. Access from the north is also owned by the sam guy once you cross that gate its Trespassing.

foreman
    West Bend, IA

Yes that is very true i was out again yesterday and when i came back I had the same note on my drivers window. Shaley you must have been out there yesterday, which shack was you? and did you have any luck. we ended up with 11 keeper perch between two of us and we caught probably 100 perch that were 3-7in. We were useing Genz jigs tipped with a waxy.

nwbuck
    Hartley, IA

Thigles,

So wbat are the options for access to Angler’s bay now? And how was the ice out there?

foreman
    West Bend, IA

Well from what i was told from another guy that was fishing the same day. there is a lain way a little ways past the anglers bay resort or what ever they call that place. to the north? Im not that good with directions but its past the resort a little ways as your coming from Spirit lake. He said there was a cattle Gate you can park by and then you have to drag all of your stuff down to the lake and I guess its a little bit of a drag. The ice conditions were still fairly good. There was probably 6-7in of ice when i was there. But always take caution going out in these mild to warm temps and good luck.

shaley
    Milford IA

I was out in the big green Eskimo QF3. Didnt keep any but caught a bunch of 6-9″ perch and small gills. I’ll be back out on Anglers New Years weekend hope theres ice building temps during the week to stiffen more water up.

Cant miss my truck Black Jimmy pulling a trailer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.