legend ice rods

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My grandparents raised me to fish with spring bobbers. I did for over 20 years. Now, I have abandoned them and switched to noodle rods and 2 pound test. I raise the jig ever so lightly, and watch and feel for any change in attitude of the rod tip. I find this approach much more successful for me. I do not have the length of the spring to go through before my rod loads up on them. That .00001 of a second is all I need!
    I am also watching them on my electronics, so I know whether or not they are following or not…
    Mike, I would like to try that with you some time this winter for gills. I think that would be fun!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I thought when you said that, that you meant they didn’t use electronics at all. I understand now. They were using them to locate the fish, and then shut them off to fish for them.

Actually they used the Camera to locate the Green vegetation and the fish.

I meant no minnows, he hooks his maggots through the tail at it’s narrowest point that way he can get 11 MAGGOTS ON a jig. I have always hooked through the head/eye?

Quote:

Now, I have abandoned them and switched to noodle rods and 2 pound test

Those work great Tuck I switch between the noodle and the spring bobber…..

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I agree, with the noodle rods, you don’t even need a spring, but its still the same concept…Visualizing the bite more than anything else. I’m not saying spring bobbers are all I use either. Like Ben said, its about virsitility. I have a very long rod that I use w/out a spring bobber when siting fish just under the ice, and I have 1 UL panfish rod with no spring bobber, and one medium ht that I am using for jiggins spoons for crappies. This rod has a noodle tip but has extreme backbone and I have found it to be excellent. Guess how much it took to bring this baby home? 12.95, but it was on sale so 9.95! St. Croix are amazing and all, but whatever gets the job done, and allows me more money for what I personally believe really helps me catch fish, like my electronics, will be what i will most likely go with.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

What noodle rods are you guys using?

All the ones I’ve seen have small eyes, not that I’ve been paying attention lately…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Dont worry Tuck. We gonna go. As soon as I take care of Derek your next.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.