Perch Question???

• mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Some buddies and I had this discussion in the goose pits last weekend. If you hole a perch and the air bladder comes out their throat, should a guy pop the air bladder with the tip of the hook if you want to return the fish. Or, is it better to leave it alone and return the fish the way it came up. Obviously it is alright to leave it alone if it is going to hit the frying pan.

Neither of us were sure, but thought someone would know the proper procedure on this site. Thanks in advance.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Usually you can tell right away if they are going to be able to get back down the hole. If they take off good and can get back down the hole, the pressure of the water will compress the air bladder again and they will be fine.

If they can not get down the hole, you would have to fizz them to get them to go back down. Most perch, at least on Mille Lacs we can release just fine and they get right back down to the bottom without a problem. I see it happen on the MarCum 560 all the time.

I would not recommend using your fish hook to pop the bladder unless it is a very tiny hook. If they struggle at the top of the hole and belly up, you may want to think about some breading and hot oil

millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

I agree with Scott. Sometimes if you can get the perch headed towards the bottom, you can see the perch with the VS 560, or any underwater camera for that matter, on the bottom for a few minutes and then all of the sudden it will be gone. If they swim a few hundred feet and die, I’m not sure. But it sure seems like they just need some time to recuperate and then they are fine. I would say, don’t poke them, just get them headed down towards the bottom of the lake.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Thanks guys. Apparently, there was a fishing show on a week ago or so that said to pop the air bladder with the tip of the hook. I think it was Dave Genz. I was a bit skeptical, but didn’t know for sure. I don’t have the camera technology, so I haven’t witnessed it unless the fish stay within view of the flasher.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.