What I learned Today.

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I don’t have any pics, and I didn’t catch anything keepable today in the 25 minute time window that i was able to fish, but I leared a couple things!
    1- I can stand on less than an inch of ice if I have to of course, this was at the shoreline trying to find a way to get out on the 3″ of ice where I would be fishing. I managed and didn’t get wet, and neither did my ice equipment.
    2- This is the main reason why I posted this. I was pretty dang suprised when I dropped in the camera in this shallow slough that is always vacant, to not see any type of fish, ANYWHERE. It was weeds as far as the camera could see. I was very surprised and just a little angry since I had just biked quite a ways with all the gear and NO fish! however I moved about 20 yards, poked 2 more holes and put the camera down again. Still nothing. I figured, well its not going to get any better so i might as well sit down and fish…Who knows! So i sat down, baited up my tiny hair jig and dropped it down. After some good jigging, I couldn’t believe how many shadows were appearing on my aqua vu, and suddenly approaching my bait. I had bluegills ranging from tiny, to almost keepers, decent perch, small perch and even a bass was lurking in the distance. Bottom line is, I was suprised at how far the fish can see and how far they will come to get a stab at your bait! To think of how many times i’ve dropped the camera down frustrated that there were no fish, and then moved a long ways only to find the same thing. I probably could have just sat down and they would come to me!
    Just a word of advice to be a little more patient than I tend to be, and you might put a few more fish in your bucket! (of course, I totally support being mobile, but when you move, you want to move within the area that your fish are using)

I hope this helps somebody catch more fish!
    Good luck,
    Cade

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.