I’m too hot!!

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Guys,
    Is there any way to get the heat to go lower on the Mr. Heater tank mounted units?
    Last year, I contacted them and inquired if they made a heater with an infinite control on it vs. the LOW, MED and TOO DAMNED HOT dial. They did not.

I know, I know, some days you can set it on the MED setting and it’s just fine, but for the most part, when you’re in a Clam Yukon all day and the temp is around 20 degrees, (or lower), LOW is too high.

Is there anything a guy can do to the pressure regulator, orifice or what ever to get a lower flame/heat output without worry of it not burning correctly? I’ve tried to use the main tank valve to control the heat output with so-so results.

Any HAVC guys out there that can chime in?

cogborn
    Prior Lake/Savage, MN

Sometimes I will use my propane lantern during daylight. Not because it’s dark in my fish house. Just much lower heat source or better heat control. Another option is to invest in a small catalytic heater. Replacing the orifice or adjusting the regulator may lead to other hazards.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I wouldnt try to alter it… sounds like a good way to get yourself killed with fumes.

Have you considered getting another heater? Buddy or pup heater are about 1/2 the BTU’s max, and are around 3000 btu’s on low if I remember right. The paulin sunflower heater I believe is lower BTU than the mr heater.. I know there is one out there with a max of about 9000 btu.(modern day mr heater is 15000 btu on high)

Last, possibly very important question.. HOW OLD is your mr heater? If you have on of the really old ones(more than 10 years) it could be one of the 30,000 btu heaters… yes, that is about enough to make your shack take off like a hot air balloon! I remember te old day witht hose things.. I brought a cheapo digital thermometer into the old 4×6 portable and tried to see how hot it got with 2 people in there. My partner bumped the thermometer getting his sweatshirt off at 140 degrees We decided to terminate the test at that time!

shaley
    Milford IA

I have the heater/cooker modle but I modified mine shortly after I got it 20 years ago. Took off that temp control thats on the unit new and took a valve off one of Dads soldering torches ( He was a plumber) Now it has infinate heating control, way lower than the normal low and way way higher on high. I replaced the screens 2 seasons ago for the first time other than that it has never missed a beat either on the ice or in elk camp

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I’d just turn it off when it gets to hot and then turn it back on when you get cold………..

Whatsa

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yeah I do not think there is a good way to do this, you have to maintain enough gas flow through the burner to ensure ignition, the lower you drop it and the bigger the burner, the easier it is to blow out. You’d probably be relighting it non stop.

I think a coleman heater may be the best choice, they have either 1.5k btu or 3k btu heaters. For ideas HERE’S A LINK I like their small size and the concept seems solid, but I’ve never tried one, So I can’t really say how good they are, I’ve been thinking about picking one up for sometime.

col._klink
    St Paul

I had this problem. So I bought a big buddy heater. That really helped! No more hot and cold flashes

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Search ebay for the Mr. Heater Jr. This isn’t made anymore but is an awesome second unit for the not so cold times we fish. They sold new for $19.99 if I recall but used you are going to pay what they go for to get one.

I modified a little Paulin (with infinite heat control that went from cold to just above cold!) by “openeing up” the air intake port. It burned a little funny (flames flowed out of the top) to I “opened up” the pilot a little. The flames out the top no longer “flowed” but rather sear, torch, shoot, burst, or whatever you want to say. It still works well but is better served to start things on fire than to use for recreational heating. In other words, don’t try to modify your heater unless you bring marshmallows and long sticks along.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.