Thin ice with this warm weather……..

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

All;
    be carefull out there. The ice is melting fast.

A guy I know plunged through thin ice the other day. Dropped right through, into DEEP water. The only thing that save him was that he was dragging his sled and was hanging onto the rope.

There he was, submerged in deep water, hanging by the rope…..water so deep, he couldn’t touch bottom……

He got out and is fine.

But be carefull. Ice that was good is now unsafe!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Glad to hear he’s OK. I hope we don’t see much of it this weekend.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Good advice Gary. If you have any question marks in your head about whether or not the ice is safe please stay off of it. Your friend was lucky to get back out as many times when a person goes through in deep water they are unable to get back on the ice because the thin ice keeps breaking. Down here in Iowa we have been at or above freezing at night so the 4 inches of ice that was good last weekend is not safe now especially near the shore where it melts the fastest. Take it from a guy who has fallen through twice and stay off questionable ice.

Eyehunter

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Gary,,
    Where did the guy go in?

I, for one, will NOT go onto Mille Lacs ice for now. And I have two houses on it! If the forecast holds true…maybe by Saturday.

The ice has not “thinned” much in general BUT—the ice around all the cracks HAS THINNED and is very treacherous. Pie shaped pieces are “floating” ALL over around the cracks. And WHO knows where else??

All the “daredevils” on the north end will NOT go onto MIlle Lacs ice as of now.

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

ozzyky
    On water

If it wouldn’t have been for me falling through last year I would probably still venture out this weekend. Even though I was in water over my head and it wasn’t a struggle to get out I just don’t want that experience again. Good point on if you think it’s not safe just stay off all togehter.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Gary,,
    Where did the guy go in?

South metro lake in Dakota county.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.