New Fishing Report added…

• djorg
    Central City, NE

Thursday, January 4th

Spent one afternoon at Willow Lake in Brown County. Plenty of ice in the 10-12″ range. Lots of short, 3-5″ perch on teardrop and mealworm combo. Locals were catching small fish on perch meat. Most fish came from about 7′ of water. No crappies, bluegills or trash fish. Had a couple perch in the 8-9″ range but no real keepers.

Ice was white and slushy on top when we left. The west end of the lake had some open water. Road was losing its bottom; four wheel drive a good idea.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

fw- Glad to hear that some place in Nebraska has some ice. No such luck here in the SE part of the state. Sounds like you had a good time! I was out in the boat with a friend yesterday at B.O.

djorg
    Central City, NE

Sunday, January 8th — Sherman Lake, Sherman County

The Trail 8 area has a good 12″ of ice. Some crappies and white bass coming out of 11′ of water on minnows. Very selective bite; best right before dark. Occasional walleyes at dark. We got one 32″ northern on 4# test; ridiculous fun.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

Sunday, January 8th — Sherman Lake, Sherman County

The Trail 8 area has a good 12″ of ice.

That sounds good. I just might have to make a trip up that way this weekend. I was just talking with a friend today about weather or not there is any ice left up there.

djorg
    Central City, NE

Be ready for some real icey roads. We put a little dent in one fender because of the sheer ice conditions on Trail 8. It is a long walk to Prairie Dog; if you are familiar with the area. A four-wheeler can be a life saver. The first pressure ridge had formed there.

We are going through some real high winds and warm temps this evening so it might take a lot of the ice off of the roads; hopefully, not off of the lake.

A gold swedish pimple with a hali dropper and minnow or waxie has worked the best for us.

Good Fishin’

djorg
    Central City, NE

Wednesday, January 10

Went to Sherman again, this time we fished straight out from the Trail 3 boat ramp. The parking lots and ramps are still ice covered. We did most of our fishing about 100 yards from the ramp. Not as good as has been in past weeks. The crappie bite was real slow. Well, let’s say any slower and it would have been non-existent. The fish caught were nice sized.

The bite on Trail 8 has slowed also. Kept in contact with friends there and they did no better.

The ice was a good 12″ out to the 5-3 point and then 3″ from there to the mainlake 5 point. Some open water on the rest of the main lake.

Good Fishin’ and Stay warm this weekend?

djorg
    Central City, NE

January 14 & 15

Went to Alliance this weekend and fished Box Butte and Smith.

Ice on these two lakes was about 14 -16″ Some light snow on the ice, but crystal clear and making more.

Fished Box Butte on Sunday. Got to the lake at 8:00 and the temp was a balmy -7. I think that the temp deeeeeeclined from there. High winds and cold temps kept us from moving so we staked down the clams and fished in about 9′ of water. Good clarity for the aquaview. We caught some nice bluegills and one nice perch. The northern bite was constant on smelt. The liberal limit on pike made for a nice batch for pickling.

Fished Smith on Monday. Got to the lake at 8:00 and the temp was a balmy -4. We were a little better prepared for it this time and the sun did shine a little on Monday. Water clarity not as good as BB but still could see 3-4′. Nice bluegills were the fair for the day. Sorted through several dozen to get my ten gills ranging from 7- 9 inches. We had a nice crappie bite right before sundown on swedish pimple and hali dropper. Took one small pike on a smelt.

The drive home was cold with temps reading -17 and the snow from the previous days storm. We ran into the snow near Hyannis.

Good Fishin’

dj

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the update dj!! Did you catch my Sherman report?? Thanks for the help last week. Some of those roads in 8 were bad. Especially after they got some snow on them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.