Camera horizontal or vertical?

• riverfan
    MN

Just got back into ice fishing and got a new camera. I’ve used it twice with the camera head pointed down the hole. I like it that way but the limit appears to be the size of the lure. At about 4’ I loose sight of a panfish size fly. How are you guys using your camera? Horizontal or vertical?

John

birddog
    Mn.

I prefer horizontal. But, that’s just me.

BIRDDOG

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Horizontal all the way….
    In the muddy river, I’ve found that Its very tough to see much more than 3-5 feet, as you stated, and I don’t see much point in the down viewing position. I think it would be awesome on clear bodies of water to locate suspended schools and bottom structures, but there isn’t enough visability to do this in the waters that I fish. instead of trying to pick out fish just on the camera, I’m going to be using my flasher and camera as one. I will Put the flasher in the camera hole so I can see where the fish are, and then lower the camera down on the flasher screen to where those fish are. Then I can stop it, and turn it to find the school. Its the best idea I have come up with!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Horizontal for me also. I like to drill a third hole outside the house. That way I have just the monitor in the house and usually can see both baits and you can get the camera back off your baits a little more.

smokercraft

I use mine horizontal, but I’m convinced it does spook certain species of fish while actually attracting others.
    Sunnies,crappies,perch and northerns don’t seem to mind the camera down there but walleyes seem to stay away. Any of you others notice this?

welch1

I have mine taped so it points down at about 45 degrees. then I spin the cord to check around the hole.

burbob
    Hastings,MN

I also drill a separate hole outside my shack and I had a small tripod built that sits over the hole that I can clip my cable to when I have it aimed in the correct direction. My problem is I do not have a 360 degree viewing camera and after attaching my cable weeds I am having trouble keeping the camera viewing in the right direction. It seems like the weeds catch even the slightest current and turn my camera. I thought about making a small tripod that would drop to the bottom and anchor the camera in the right direction but I am not sure if that would work. If anyone has any ideas other than buying a new camera let me know. Adjusting my camera is getting old

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

Lately I seem to go verticle a lot. I like to be over the bait looking straight down at it and I can also (sometimes) see the bottom. But, I must say, it was very helpful to go horizontal last year at the Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza….I could see for a long ways that there were absolutley no fish near my bait or anyone around me for about 30 feet. The water was very clear and the bite was not happening for me!

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

For scouting I use the horizontal….but when fishing I go vertical 90% of the time.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I like horizontal for scouting and some fishing applications. Most of my ice fishing with the camera is done in the vertical position. I drill 5 holes inside my Yukon, and I can fish 4 lines and use the middle one for the camera.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

I’ve always been a horizontal guy.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Hey…about the tripod idea, there was some one at the ice show that was selling these tripods!!!!! He had made like 20-30 of these tripods ranging from half a feet to 2-3 feet high. I think they were going for a bout 20 dollars each. Dun remember the name of the shop tho’ sorry.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I just bought something at Gander Mtn. the other night that Is going to be an awesome tool for my camera as far as postioning. The tripod is a good Idea, But I wanted something that will easily fit in my bucket and not so expensive! What I found is called the “Camera Compass”…Its a round circle with a slit and cleats on it. you put your camera cable through the cleats and it goes in the slit. You place the disk over the hole and all you have to do is spin the disk (comes with handle for spinning) to get it to position where you want it and set it down on the ice. Looks like its going to work great, and cost me 13 bucks. Now I can fit my camera, camera compass, And 5 ice rods plus bait and gloves in one bucket!

burbob
    Hastings,MN

I can get mine aimed, the problem is when a fish bumps it (pout) or if there is current. My brother made the tripod for me last year, it is a tripod with a flat metal plate in the center, you get your camera positioned and clip the cord to the plate with a clothing pin or a binder clip. It usually works quite well but it seems like after I attached my cable weeds it won’t sit still, fish are constantly bumping it. I used my camera for about 15 min. last Sat. and got sick of positioning it, shut it off, and went back to hole hopping with my flasher. I did have it aimed long enough to see what was down there and I guess that is all I need but it would be nice when it gets colder and the bite picks up not to be in and out aiming my camera

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

For scouting I use the horizontal….but when fishing I go vertical 90% of the time.

I do the same here!

riverfan
    MN

Ive got a small tripod from a spoting scope. Anyone got an idea of how to hold the cable without crimping it? It looks like AquaView has some kind of rubber nob on theirs.

John

shaley
    Milford IA

I also drill 5 holes inside my shack and use it horizontal but I camo my camera with reel weeds only problem is its the wifes camera and if shes along she hogs it on her baits. Guess I need my own If I’m alone I drill a hole off to the side so I can watch both my baits. Beats leaning over a hole all day long.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.