Depth on Cameras

• davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I was checking out those new Marcum cameras that show the depth on the monitor and it got me thinking. I’m sure this has already been done (I’m not much of an ice fisherman so I’m not sure) but why can’t you just mark the cable every foot or two with a line and depth? You could check the camera depth with a quick glance. If you see fish suspended by using your camera, all you have to do is look at the mark on the cable and see how deep they are. You could leave the last few feet unmarked if you think that will scare the fish. I’m willing to bet it would alert the fish WAY less verses using sonar which sends out audible “pings”.

Anyway, that Marcum sure looks like the Cadillac of cameras and I’m sure the reason the depth is on there is the same reason all our new toys have the latest and greatest features. If we can get them…why not.

For those who are in a budget crunch right now, your new depth finder might be a 25-50ft tape measure and a painter marker, electrical tape, or whatever so you can mark your cable.

(see picture)

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

I did exactly that. Last year, i picked up a aqua vu. Wasn’t sure how much i would use it, so i didn’t go all out and spend a ton of money. But having a measurment tool for your camera is essential.

Like u said, u can use tape, paint, or markers. I actually went and picked up a kit for a few bucks that was just stickers that u put on the wire, works great.

scottsteil
    Central MN

They lower end cameras come with Segmented Cable. They are marked every 3ft, 5ft etc depending on the unit. Good idea D-Nort they just thought of it first

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Figures… .

Guess I’ll just go back to my bass forum .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.