St. Croix Ice rods

• redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I finally got around to trying out my new Premier 28″ ML ice rod. I must say that these are amazing rods, the sense of feel was outstanding. They will Definatly be a top choice for me in the future, If you don’t already have one, I would get one because you can feel the fish breathe on your jig.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I picked one up last year and I agree! top it off witha frabil panny popper spring bobber and it is the best combos I own!I havn’t tried the other st. croixs but I’m sure they are as good or better then the premier. Can’t beat em’

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have to agree with you guys, they are great ice rods.
    That is the reason that they are at the top of my Christmas list

Ron

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I that the same one that Dean has??

He has the St Croix ice rod haning over the side of a table. On the end of the line he has a hook clip…not a jig or an ice fly…just a hook clip and a bit of plastic from the tail of a super doo….if you blow on the line the spring bobber moves!

The ultimate in panfish sensitivity!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have a bunch of the premiers, avids, and legends!! All are great rods! I love the handle on the premier the best. The spring bobber on the legends is unlike any other ice fishing rod available today. It WILL put more fish on the ice. If you can’t see a fish bite on the legend bobber, then you will need a camera.

Great GREAT rods!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

He has the St Croix ice rod hanging over the side of a table. On the end of the line he has a hook clip…not a jig or an ice fly…just a hook clip and a bit of plastic from the tail of a super doo….if you blow on the line the spring bobber moves!

The ones Dean has down there are the Legends. They are very nice. I love the spring bobbers. They are interchangeable too!!!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

He has the St Croix ice rod hanging over the side of a table. On the end of the line he has a hook clip…not a jig or an ice fly…just a hook clip and a bit of plastic from the tail of a super doo….if you blow on the line the spring bobber moves!

The ones Dean has down there are the Legends. They are very nice. I love the spring bobbers. They are interchangeable too!!!!

I have the Legend and Premiere combos as well….These are available for on ice demos if anyone is interested.For those “tough lite bite” days,the gold-plate spring bobber system is incredible!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

I have to agree with you guys, they are great ice rods.
    That is the reason that they are at the top of my Christmas list

Ron

Ron, what are you doing asking for ice fishing equipment? Are you sick or something? I have never tried, but I’ve heard that the Mille Lacs Smallies are tough to catch this time of year.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got a Premier with a Legend spring bobber mounted on it. I’ve only used it once so far, but that thing is the shiz-nit! And it was a lot cheaper going that route than buying the entire Legend rod

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

I’ve got a Premier with a Legend spring bobber mounted on it. I’ve only used it once so far, but that thing is the shiz-nit! And it was a lot cheaper going that route than buying the entire Legend rod

Good idea! I have the x-tra spring bobbers in all the sizes…How did you mount it on the Premier?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

He picked up a guide at Cabelas then smashed the ceramic ring out and the hole that remained was a quarter inch. He then got some tiny grommets at Ace Hardware they have an eighth inch hole and are designed to fit into a quarter inch hole, perfect.

From there he put the grommet into the guide, epoxied the guide to the end of the rod, wrapped it tightly with thread, then coated the thread with expoxy.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

He picked up a guide at Cabelas then smashed the ceramic ring out and the hole that remained was a quarter inch. He then got some tiny grommets at Ace Hardware they have an eighth inch hole and are designed to fit into a quarter inch hole, perfect.

From there he put the grommet into the guide, epoxied the guide to the end of the rod, wrapped it tightly with thread, then coated the thread with expoxy.

Hey there! Quit giving out my secrets

Pier nailed it on the head. Works great!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

WAY too expensive for my taste.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

You could always go with the 99 cent Walmart special spring bobber mine is going on 4 years and so far it’s crushing my St.Croix.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Pier, how do you have that mounted? It looks like you glued it and wrapped it.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I think this is the some one I bought awhile back. They come with a piece of plastic(I think it’s shrinkwrap) that when you heat it, it binds around the pole.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Pier, how do you have that mounted? It looks like you glued it and wrapped it.

Wrapped really good then glued not so good kind of thin layer but it works plus it’s beat up.
    A friend of mine used clear nail polish which makes it look much smoother his is holding up well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use the spring type on less expensive rods. I put out enough spring so tiny teardrop bends it slightly. That way I can detect pull or lift.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.