Russ’s slot limit measuring tool

• russjudy
    Minnesota

The DNR even side it was better than theres while checking me this summer-so I will call it state approved
    1-rain gutter
    1-endcap
    2- 36″ metal measuring sticks (no tape measures)
    glue end cap- drill 2 holes through measureing stick and gutter
    rivet or bolt stick to gutter
    duck tape second 1 to the back side for longer measurements
    done
    not many fish will not fit in the gutter to be held safely and measured correctly

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

The key is the metal ruler. Vinyl stick-on rulers and even plastic rulers shrink over time and cannot be trusted. The Iowa DNR hands out the vinyl stick-on ones but they have told me that they are not accurate because they shrink over time. I have a wood cradle board with a 36″ aluminum ruler centered on the board. Down on this stretch of the river we have a protected slot and the DNR does not give you much leeway when it comes to measuring fish. They have told me to be careful with borderline 15 inch fish because they will tense up in the livewell and lose some of their length.

Eyehunter

russjudy
    Minnesota

no picking on anyone but the DNR gave out several tickets this summer for “tail trimming” to stay in the slot- its so easy to spot its sad- you must be aware that walleys have at the top of there upper tail fin is a tiny minute fin that extends beyound the fin–this is also used when measuring a walleyes lenght- keep that in mind and stay away from a fish on Red that measures 17″ perfect- it may not be leagle in dnrs eyes- — stay a 1/4″ below that to be safe 16 and 3/4″- you might need to be aware that Red had a no walley reg on it for 10 years but opened in 8 so it is closely monitored

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.