food on ice

• russjudy
    Minnesota

someone asked what kind of food to bring to the lake for a couple nights in a sleeper of course the answers were all the same-hotdogs, burgers etc- not my answer after 3 months on the lake living out there- heres my answer

myself (AS SOME OF YOU KNOW ME) bring up 10 cases of Dinty Moore stew and several loaves of bread and a case of crackers- after the first week of eating it you kind of get use to it and cant wait for the 3 months on ice to be overwith- you can let it and the bread freeze outside and just unthaw it and its ready for the same pan all winter long without washing it, heck crush the cans toss in the kettle at the end of the season-head for the junkyard and get a few bucks back- it doesnt get any better than that
    snapfizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Now that’s some good eats there.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Good topic. I once had to leave a hot lake because we didn’t bring food. Now I try to do something each time. I like putting a pot of chili on the coleman and slow roasting some brats or dogs in there at the same time. I find I can pack my cooking kit and have a fine meal on the ice carrying less than 10 lbs. It also gives you something to do and flags always go up when you are doing stuff.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

My favorite is Bog Bull soup, prepared by Bog Bull himself. (Gundez-71) He is a hardwater chef!!!

Other favs are Ravioli and peanut butter sandwiches, chili, and for those fortunate enough to have an oven in the house, a nice tator tot hotdish.

A pork chop in a can or 12 is a great addition to most hardwater adventures as well.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i like to bring pre-cooked brats and cook them on tinfoil over my propane heater! It sure is deliscious when you are starving on the ice!

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My wife will make burritos and wrap them in tin foil, then heat them up on the heater. If I’m going to an outing I’ll usually bring some jars of morels and fry them up on the ice!!!

Ed

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

my home made venison jerky yum!!

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

bring up a bag of potatos and hope for some fish!

not quite, usually make a hotdish in a crockpot, or jerky, or summer sausage for sandwiches, or we spend a little cash at the local bars

chomps
    Sioux City IA

A hot meal on the ice can make all the difference. I’m all for cooking up an extra pack or two of Johnsonville’s when you have the grill going, put a few in ziplocks. bring along a pot, put on burner, backpack burners are great and light weight, add a beer or two, some thin sliced onion and a bit of red chili flakes, (You can slice onion and add some spices to a ziplock the night before) let that simmer, if it is sunny, keeping the buns on your dashboard warms then up a bit also. Brat to bun, add onions and some spicey mustard, oh boy!

the_grump
    Le Center

Yumm, nothing better than a 12 ounce “pork chop in a can”

Alot of meat in a tube meals

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Yumm, nothing better than a 12 ounce “pork chop in a can”

Ya…What HE said
    That and a MRE they are GREAT

Coreyc
    La Crosse/Amery, WI

A tip for any of you guys who might have under-dressed or get cold…spicey food literally warms your body up from the inside, so make some spicey food and your body temp will raise.

But who’s gonna admit they get cold on the ice…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.