Detroit Lakes area ice

• John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Reports are saying anywhere from 3-7 inches of ice on some lakes. Starting to see some permanent fishouses out. The ice is really shaping up good. The weather looks to be cold for the weekend. Not much snow at all around 1 inch. The bite seems to be active from what I have heard for walleye.

schwe190
    Duluth, MN

Anyone been out crappie fishing on big detroit? How is the bite?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Big Detroit is starting to get some houses out this week. I have heard reports of up to 10 inches of ice on most lakes. Some people are driving smaller cars on some lakes. Also some are fishing their trucks out of the lakes from going through the ice. The ice is shaping up really good but give a couple of moore weeks before driving on them with vehicles. The walleye bite is slow on some lakes. I have heard they are catching panfish on Detroit Lake. Ottertail and Rush lake are producing Walleye’s from what I have heard. Next weekend I will be venturing out looking for some eye’s.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Ice is pushing the shore up good now on most lakes. So be careful for the pressure ridges forming just off shore. Wheeler’s and sled’s are still the main mode of travel. Ice is anywhere from 10-15 inches. We just got 2 inches of wet snow and more to come. The weather looks to be warm again so the ice is not growing too fast right now. I was out on Ottertail tonight and drilled out 10-12 inches of ice.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Well we are making ice again. The water that was on the ice is froze solid. I was on Ottertail Lake and drilled around 15 inches on the average and also on West Battle and drilled out 12 inches on the average. Most people are still using wheeler’s to get out. I am seeing more and more truck’s crossing the ice. The fishing is alittle slow for walleye’s right now.

jbob
    Hastings, MN

John, did you buy a wheeler yet?

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Snow is in the forcast for this weekend. So no I did not buy a Wheeler yet Jbob. I did go fishing on a area lake close to Ottertail last night and caught 6 walleye’s. The smallest walleye being 24″ and the biggest close to 27″. I lost 3 more and one was really big. Buckshot rattle spoon was the ticket. The fish just inhailled it. The ice is bare by the way. So make sure you have a good pair of ice cleats. The lake I was on had 8″ of ice. I did take my snowmobile accross the lake. Just a little tip to the guys who own wheeler’s (jbob): when loading the wheeler on the trailer keep your feet on the foot restsso you dont get your leg twisted off like Jbob did.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.