First Ice Bluegills 12-6-06

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I was fortnate enough to be able to bike down to goose island today to try my hand at some first ice bluegill action. I have been on the ice a few times already this season, but not with enough time to really knock the cobwebs off my ice gear. I got to my spot and dropped in the marcum and found fish to be pretty aggressive, even though the people around were complaining about a slow bite with many small fish. I was content with how i was doing however. I used a small black shrimpo with no meat to catch almost all of the fish, except when they started getting leery and i switched it up to a chartreuse wedgee before quickly switching back to the shrimpo. The water i was fishing was 3-4′ and stained with about a foot visability. Ice was great and at least 4-1/2 inches. The method i Used in this shallow water was to start the jig just under the ice and work it to the bottom slowly while suddly jigging to just barely move the spring bobber. If i didn’t get hit on the way down, I would be met immidiately upon reaching the bottom area (bottom foot or so and they would come to meet it) I was pleased with the 2 hours on the ice and could have kept around 15 good gills with several being above 8″
    Ice is primed and ready to go, I’m thrilled!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

the top fish was the last fish of the night. It was dark so i used my headlamp to try and get the shot It was one of the better fish of the night. Here are a couple more good fish.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Way to go, Cade,

Jack..

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Those are some nice looking fish Cade!!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Awesome Cade!! I was able to get on ice tonight too!!!

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Cade! you rock!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nice job Cade!

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Cade,
    I am going to call you “machine” from now on… You are a fishing machine. See you on the ice. Ted

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Way to go Cade, I’m hoping to get on some backwater here in Iowa tomorrow at Guttenberg.

Ed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.