Waubay Reports?

• Todd_NE

Wondered if anyone has any reports on the Glacial Lakes area. I’m going to and give ‘er a go this saturday. Probably going to start at Waubay then maybe hit one other lake before coming home.

Todd

marnis
    Loveland,CO

Let us know how you did? I hear the season is getting off to a great start!

Todd_NE

I and Tim Starostka from Nebraska met up with Lynn Jurrens, an FLW angler from Watertown. The reports we’d heard said 8-12″ of ice with fish off Buckshot and School Bus along with reports of a good bite at Oakwood, Enemy, and a few others.

We hit the ice real at Sunrise Saturday going off the farm by School Bus – we were the only ones there. We moved 6 times and fished a huge portion of the north side of the lake. Lynn hooked a very nice fish right away but we never saw it. We never had another bite and left at 12:30. There are huge pressure heaves and 11-11.5″ of PERFECT ice. We hardly marked a fish all morning and talked to a few other guys all but one were skunked.

We moved to Enemy and fished a sunken island. Picked up 7 small perch and 2 small eyes. Nothing special. Guys over there were struggling too though we heard you could catch all the 5″ perch you wanted in the weeds in Indlam/Indian Bay. The ice at Enemy was 10″ and diamond hard, so hard I tried to find cloudy ice as it was much easier to drill.

Perfect weather, perfect fishing guys to go with.

A group of 3 guys Lynn knew got 3 perch and 3 eyes by Grenville, not very big though. Otherwise the baitshops and other anglers reported an incredibly tough day. The fishing turned south around noon this past Thursday. BUT, that just means they will tear it up, today or tomorrow!

Hope the ice keeps up, wayyyyyyyy better than last year’s ice up there. Be careful, more heaves than I’ve normally seen but I’m far from an expert either.

Todd

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Thanks for the report Todd.Should have made a trip to the IGL’s area.
    Ryan Hale

Todd_NE

how’s the ice? how’s the fishing?

Can’t decide what to do this next weekend. Either duck hunting or ice fishing!

Todd_NE

Got an update from a friend. Sounds like they did take off Sat night and sunday at Waubay again.

My luck

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I am looking at going to wauby at the end of the month you guys have any tips or places to try out there I ahve never been that way int he winter got a guy going with on his first ice trip looking to catch a variety jig some eyes and perch and tip up some pike maybe…also maybe hit the crappie and gills if there is a population in the area….any tip swould be great guys..thanks

Todd_NE

Best advice is to call Sportsman’s in Webster SD for a report. There are just toooooo many lakes and species for me to say. If you go if Feb, let me know, I might be going up and we could work together. I think my Jan is full now.

Todd

hntnful
    Everly Iowa

I’ll be there the 25-28th. We are staying at the rooste in grenville Should be good I hope.
    Brian

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

We’re headed north this weekend. Doubt we’ll get as far as Waubay but should make Watertown. Hope to check some new spots along the way and find something more than last trip. If anybody wants to share the “hot spot” between Yankton and there we’ll be happy to check it out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.