Mille Lacs

• sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Well, I got up this weekend and got on the ice a bit. A MAJOR word of caution for people going out of public access in Sunset Bay – be careful!!! I helped fish 2 different groups of people out of the bay when their wheelers went through Saturday night!

The first people went in just a bit after dark when Skinny Boy and I walked out to night fish. We heard a lot of noise then it went silent. Next thing you know, we’re seeing the cherries on shore. We walked in and I drove down a block to check it out. Sure enough, these guys were coming in after dark and didn’t have any idea that the ice ridge and opened up and there was ZERO good way to get to shore from the bay … as I found out about 3 p.m. on Saturday. I had to build a mini-bridge to get back. We went out in the morning and the cracks were good enough to drive over. By the afternoon, it warmed up, the ice expanded and shifted, and the cracks and heaves had opened wide! It was not a pretty site.

So, I get there and this guy’s got gauze all wrapped around his head, blood dripping down, and his arm in a sling. His other buddy’s on the ice with some friends they called trying to get their mangled wheeler out of the water. They hit 5 feet of open water and got stopped on a dime. They both flew over the handle bars and the auger went right over their heads. They’re lucky they’re not dead. Very lucky.

As I was talking/helping these guys, we saw another set of lights coming in. Some younger kid and an older guy with their ATV and trailer going straight for the same spot, and sure enough … SPLOOSH!

Luckily, they didn’t hurt themselves, but they were stupid. Just plain stupid. First, they were drunk as skunks. Second, they told me they already went through once earlier in the day on the way out! What?! How dumb do you have to be to go through once in the day and still go out fishing? Not only that, but you come back in when it’s pitch black out? Some people shouldn’t breed – I would put these folks in that column.

The ice is fine once you get out a ways, but the ridges and cracks were in bad, bad shape. There was no good way around them and you had to risk it to get out. Sure, the water’s shallow (only 2-4 feet) where they went through, but that doesn’t matter. A fish or two isn’t worth thousands of dollars of damage or even worse … your life. C’mon people, get a clue!

What’s even worse, I was telling other people about that the very next day, and they drove their permanent right over the crack/heave to get out fishing! Now I’m not a genius, but that doesn’t seem worth it to me to even take the slightest chance. Wow….

Just thought I’d give a heads up to you folks out there. Be very, very careful and please ask the locals or resorts before going out. I can’t believe all the people that just go blindly out of public landings without having a clue what the ice is like or what’s been happening with cracks/ridges/heaves, etc.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

here is where a picture would be worth a 1,00o words, I guess with it being dark, it would be tough to get the whole effect.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Yeah, it certainly would. I was less worried about making an example of people than helping them get out of the water and back home safely. It was pretty bad. I’m just happy nobody else came in after that (that I know of, at least).

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i was out on 12/18 and there is open water on the point outside of cove bay. it looked like it was about 10 feet wide by about 50 yards long. if you are going out of the cove bay launch, stay clear of the point. the ice over the reefs that are off of the point were ok for me, kind of unsetteling seeing the rocks just under the ice. if you are going out and going to stay after dark, use a gps and stay on your track on the way in, don’t take a untraveled route, you may end up in the drink……….tom fellegy

sunny
    isanti mn

puddlepounder i sent you a im thanks

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

OK..what is the latest now? Planning to give it a go this weekend by walking out. Which side should I go for for big walleyes and perch??? SouthWest, NorthWest or East????

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

I can tell you this. Guys that went out of Hunters to the boot came in with a limit of nice eaters and had some overs. Not sure on the over sizes. Perch are going pretty good on Hunters Point. Walleye are being caught pretty much all over the area, 3 mile, 2mile, lakeside, Flamingo. From the reports they are not jumping up the holes, but if you stay on the move you will catch fish. The night time fishing has been pretty good up shallow in the rocks in places like lakeside reef. Nothing fantasic but the fish are being caught. Just a little work involved.
    Ice is doing well. There are cracks and some spots over the entire lake that are not safe yet. Stick to places checked by resorts and dont go running around the lake without knowing the situation on the ice. Check with resorts. We need more cold nights.

How’s that? This is a report coming from George at Hunters.

muskygator
    Foley MN

Thanks for the great report. I might give it a try this weekend. Will have to stop at Hunters for the good word and ice conditions. Thanks again and stay safe everyone.

amarble_eye

hey i was just wondering, would it be better to use a tip up for walleyes or would it be better to jig for a walleye? and which is better bait for walleyes, fatheads or suckers?

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Either way works fine tip up or jiggin but I have found jigging is a bit more productive. Now for the question on bait Use FatHeads! That is what I was nailing them on last week..

amarble_eye

how many eyes did you get last week, and around what time?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.