Sure Footing on the ice…Are you protected ?

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Keeping a sure footing on fresh ice can be the difference between a great outing, or a day at the doctor’s office. There are several types of ice foot ware on the market today, ranging in price from around $10 to around $100 a pair.

What I look for in a pair of ice grips for my boots are, ease of getting them on and off, when all bundled up the last thing you want to be doing is trying to get a pair of ice grips on, some sort of traction on both the heal and the toe, stability on the boot, meaning that they stay on while trekking across islands and logs on my way to my favorite fishing spot. And durability, If I’m going to spend $10 on a pair of boot chains I really don’t expect to get much life out of them. But on the other hand, if I spend $50 on a pair of Stabilicers I expect to get several years out of them.

Here are some of the different grips I have used in the past that I liked ranging from what I liked best to worst..

Stabilicers sure-traction snow tires for your feet. I walk with confidence over ice and snow with these for around $50

Yaktrax these have a spring-coil system that bites into the ice around $20

Get a Grip traction slip ons…I didn’t care to much for the traction these gave me for about $20

Boot Chains, these tend to break and come off the boot. Around $10

Ice Walker quick clip Cleats by Covell…these only cover the arch in the foot and are very uncomfortable when walking. Also they do not offer grip on the toe area or the heal area where we all walk… Around $10

Well, I know there are a lot of different options out there to try and I will keep looking into other sets, but no matter what always have some sort of grips on your boots when walking on slick ice

sjh62
    On the border-Trempealeau

Quote:

Ice Walker quick clip Cleats by Covell…these only cover the arch in the foot and are very uncomfortable when walking. Also they do not offer grip on the toe area or the heal area where we all walk… Around $10

Those are so lame,a total waste.They never stay put,or slip to the side.I delt with them one snowless winter.All the good ones were sold-out.

Buy the good ones now,they may sell-out soon.The CPC is predicting a drier than normal winter Who knows?

phishirman
    Madison, WI

the cheapest and the best method I have found have been to just put in small screws in the lugs of your boots…Just make sure you don’t forget about em and walk across the kitchen floor like I did or the wife will

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Just make sure you don’t forget about em and walk across the kitchen floor like I did or the wife will

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

HT’s SCL-3

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Stabilicers!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I think my boots are Rocky’s, but not 100% sure. Bought these 2 years ago at Scheels, they have flip out cleats, about 5 or 6 per boot, they sure work well, and they are really warm. As one mentioned, just be sure to flip them in when you are on shore, or in the fish house.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I like the cheap rubber ones that slip over your boots – they’re made by HT or Frabil (can’t remember which). You can get them at fleet farm and they do the trick just fine.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

I like the cheap rubber ones that slip over your boots – they’re made by HT or Frabil (can’t remember which). You can get them at fleet farm and they do the trick just fine

I use the same ones. When you are not walking on the ice, you can use them as a fish scaler That is basically what they have attached underneath. They get the job done though and don’t slide around.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Stabilicers!

Blue, these look like a quality product. I question with the “grippers” on the outer ring of the device, how is the support in the center of the sole? I also wonder how the stay on since the front and rear strps don’t seem to have any connectivity. Any opinions you can share would be appreciated.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Quote:

Those are so lame,a total waste.They never stay put,or slip to the side.I delt with them one snowless winter.All the good ones were sold-out.

Buy the good ones now,they may sell-out soon.The CPC is predicting a drier than normal winter Who knows?

Actually;
    these work pretty good for my big feet……..They fit my arch perfect and because my foot is big enough, they don’t move at all…..

Crankbait

Thanks for the overview Dave!
    Just picked up the Yaktrax and can’t wait to try them out. The only problem I foresee is they might get a build up of ice/slush on the springs making them less effective. Anyone experience this? Gander didn’t have the Stabilicers.
    Thanks, Chris

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Quote:

Stabilicers!

Blue, these look like a quality product. I question with the “grippers” on the outer ring of the device, how is the support in the center of the sole? I also wonder how the stay on since the front and rear strps don’t seem to have any connectivity. Any opinions you can share would be appreciated.

Kooty, I have the Stabilicers…have had them for the past 3 years…they stay on the foot nice, with little slippage and I have only lost a couple of cleats so far…

you can order extra ones from the company too.

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

After landing on my keester with my lazer mag still running at FULL throttle pointing straight up in the air, I figured I had better do something about traction. So I bought a few pair of “Arctic Spurs”. They work really good except for they are the loudest thing I’ve ever heard hit the ice. Fishing shallow water gills is not an option with these. But, I can say I’ll never land on the ice again like that.

russjudy
    Minnesota

I bought what they call “logger cleats” 7 years ago from a site- gosh now I wish I would have bought more-all metal, hinged in the center, toe and heel spikes, you never new you were wearing them, easy strap on and never come off- Ill try to get a pix of them by next week

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.