Why not smaller metro lakes ?

• kabbie55106

I hear people always talking about White Bear, Millacs, Minetonka, and all the other big lakes. Why doesnt anyone fish the smaller metro lakes ? Just looking for reasons why the smaller lakes arent fished ???????

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

In forums, go to MN listed there are Metro Lakes east and west of 35. Might find what you are looking for.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Kabbie;
    There is a LOT of small lake metro fishing!

I do think however you don’t hear much about it for two reasons:

1) Most of the smaller lakes carry a mass majority of stunted fish in the metro area. So, not much to post, because those lakes are in the metro area by the thousands!

2) If a person does stumble onto some good fish in one of the smaller lakes, they tend to keep it quite quiet to themselves, because it is a needle in the haystack. These smaller little lakes just cannot handle the harvesting pressure of mass crowds pulling out quality fish.

If you are new to the smaller metro lake ice fishing, say so. Doing a little research and homework can put you on some decent fish. But you have to work to find it!

shayla

Quote:

Kabbie;
    There is a LOT of small lake metro fishing!

I do think however you don’t hear much about it for two reasons:

1) Most of the smaller lakes carry a mass majority of stunted fish in the metro area. So, not much to post, because those lakes are in the metro area by the thousands!

2) If a person does stumble onto some good fish in one of the smaller lakes, they tend to keep it quite quiet to themselves, because it is a needle in the haystack. These smaller little lakes just cannot handle the harvesting pressure of mass crowds pulling out quality fish.

If you are new to the smaller metro lake ice fishing, say so. Doing a little research and homework can put you on some decent fish. But you have to work to find it!

Yep! I’m definately guilty of #2, for sure! There’s a ton of good fishing on many of the smaller metro lakes. All a guy has to do is go searching!

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I am guilty of 1 and 2. I am scared to post about a smaller lake for the fear of it getting hit hard. I do a lot of catch and release so I do little damage to the population. If you ask castandblast he’ll tell you I only catch small ones. Enjoy the ice a couple lakes in the east metro I have been on to check the ice mmost ive seen is 4 inches but most less than that. If you want some info on how the stillwater area lakes are doing well…..might have to know me a lttle more. I fish with a guywho made me swear on his bible to not tell anyone where he takes me.

(Mike I won’t tell anyone it is you)

beave
    MPLS

I’ve fished Nokomis for 30 years, along with Hiawatha, Calhoun, Harriet etc. Really catch some nice fish on these lakes, But you must deal with the Air plane noise. Also had a rash of thugs jumping fisherman on some of these lakes in recent years. (Conceal & Carry could end that pretty quick)

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Gary hit it right on. Most all the small lakes have good numbers of panfish and pike. Some will give up better fish than others. Just a matter of time on the ice. Pick a couple close to you and give them a shot!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.