Ice Show (Was it lame or just me?)

• ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Was it me or were the prices normal or higher than normal this year?

Example:
    $10 to park, $6 or $7 to get in.

Reel Weeds saw pricing from $19-$39 for box of 2!

Ice Team waterproof gloves $29 everywhere I remember seeing them on sale for $24 in stores.

Big Buddy heater $119-$129! My friend had to beg Reeds for a $99 deal from their price of $119…which worked. Then I read the Sunday ads and Northern has them on sale for $99 all day long!

Drop down ice houses $5000 to $38,000 (used) it was marked down price from new price of $50,000!…yep only $50,000 new!

I remember when the Ice Show had great deals (last year and before)! I used to wait to buy big ticket items from Reeds, Capra’s, and Thorne Bros but what’s the use now?

Did anyone find anything that was a good deal???I hope you did! I’m thinking I won’t be back next year if it continues like this.

Later,

Ferny.

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

I thought the ice armor gloves for $22.95 wasn’t such a bad deal.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I thought there were some pretty good deals if you asked for them. It was one of the busiest shows in many years.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I thought it was pretty good…I wasn’t impresswed with the charge on the food and drink…but that’s it. I loved seeing some of the ice “houses”…most were better than my apartment I used to have.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I made a trip out to the front door and in the five minutes I was there late Saturday afternoon, I counted 8 boxes of Reel Weeds, 6 Marcum boxes (not sure if they were flashers or cameras) 5 Vexilar boxes…and one fella telling his wife he would come back to get her because their wasn’t enough room in the car after he put his new fish house in!

From what I saw, not only was the place packed…but people were buying. I don’t know how good the deals were as I didn’t ask..just looked around.

I do know that if a visitor bought a twin pac of Reel Weeds from Thorne Bros…the cost of the parking and show was covered…if they bought food or drink…well…they went back into the red.

But that’s about normal for sports or any of the “shows”.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I actually never left the booth, but I can say that this was one of the best years for Trail’s End. We had two items that no one else had, we sold everyone one that we brought down. Also, if I were Jeff Arnold, I would focus a little more on security around the electronics.

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

I think it was busier then last year. Not too many people buying Augers (I worked for Jiffy at the Reeds booth) but there was a few. The deals usually are Sunday afternoon. I know a buddy of mine walked out of Reeds with the new (display model) Otter 3 man for $140 off what they had it listed for. They gave him a Big Buddy heater for $94 on top of that.

Two other guys walked out with a Jiffy Model 30 9″ and a Jiffy Legend 3.0 HP 10″ OUT THE DOOR at $609.

You have to ask around for the deals and price shop. An Augers / Houses / Vex / Marcum they can go only so low because of set prices for everyone.

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Nice talking with you Dan on Saturday and Sunday.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Likewise Scott, you’ll have to tag along with Bobby and I for some ice action. I think I am going to Aitkin on Saturday. You interested in sight fishing for largemouth?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dan…were you hiding from me??

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Nope my kaboose was parked right across from Reeds in the Trail’s End booth down by the entrance. Intently focused on small children and their obvious disregard for the sharpness of hooks in a Northland Jigs tray. We had the end table that was selling the 12 LED Clamp Lights and the Auger Quick Connects. If you were there yesterday I was they guy watching the Vikings fall apart piece by piece on my little TV and sipping Molson Ice to ease the pain.

Unlike years past I didn’t see any IDA hats out there. Mine currently resides somewhere on Mille Lacs so I had to go with the old standby red Loomis lid. In fact other than Scott, I didn’t talk to anyone from IDA.

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Quote:

Likewise Scott, you’ll have to tag along with Bobby and I for some ice action. I think I am going to Aitkin on Saturday. You interested in sight fishing for largemouth?

Any time… BUT SATURDAY. Leaving on business tomorrow through late Thursday and tiling the house on Saturday. I might head out on Sunday metro if your around.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Dan…were you hiding from me??

I would have been

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Bobby, you recover from the pheasant fiesta yet? Let’s go to Lake X on Saturday and fish Mille Lacs on the way home for an hour or two for walleyes. Just set up out in front of the reed bed that Mick did well on. We can just wheeler along shore to get us close if the ice isn’t ready yet.

Bob Bowman
    MN

No, I have not recovered. I think my face has about 6 inches of frost on it still…..Note to self, when the weather is 6 degrees and the wind is 20-30 mph….STAY AT HOME….

birddog
    Mn.

It’s a small show, always has been, but the deals were great!! Every item on my shopping list was much cheaper at the show than anywhere else. I agree with Scott, shopping around was the ticket. I ended up doing all my shopping at Reeds as they were the cheapest on just about everything, every item we purchased was not only priced cheaper but the guy checking us out knocked cash off EVERY item we purchased!

BIRDDOG

shaley
    Milford IA

Saved $30 on my purchase of Reel Weeds Brian forced me to buy. Most places seemed more than willing to deal if you asked. Thorn Bros always deals, Reeds will to butI didnt spend alot of time there due to a couple bad experiences from them in the past. Better deals I saw were of course on things I didnt need. I’m sure we’ll be back next year if for no other reason than something to do.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.