Be very careful checking ice

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

I checked thickness on a few lakes today and found up to 2.5″ of ice… but each of the lakes were still 5%-50% open water.

This crazy wind lately isnt letting everything freeze at the same time and there is going to be some significant ice thickness variation for a while.

When you feel you have found enough ice to fish, be SURE to take a chisel and picks along and constantly check the ice thickness! I predict in the next day or two where I was today is going to have 4″ of ice in some areas, and MAYBE a skim coat to 1.5″ in others (sploosh!).

All of this cold weather I think many people are going to assume the ice is uniform once they see people out… Hopefully not too many people take a swim.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Ive found alot of clear ice today no bubbles and it seems to be pretty strong. I was fishing on 1.75 inches earlier with no result, gonna try again tomorrow morning.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just a note to viewers new to ice fishing.

No ice is safe as the DNR is quick to point out. Error on the side of safety and wait until there is more ice than what the DNR recomends.

I would really hate to have someone read a post on IDA, then head out on 2 inches of ice and take the plung.

Remember that 2 inches of ice in the morning my be open water in the afternoon on a sunny day.

Metal is warmed by the suns rays and will melt through two inchs of ice fairly quickly.

Be safe out there.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Dave-VERY good point This does not relate to fishing, but it does have to do with ice conditions. In the area I am trapping, I have to keep a constant eye on the ice thickness. Like Dave mentioned, the wind is making uniform ice non-existant. Even today, I found myself in some pretty hairy conditions that resulted in me backtracking just to get around certain areas. While it is a pain and involves more work, it is a lot safer than taking a swim

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I agree that early ice cannot be taken for granted. For those of you that do it like I do: Go slow. Look and listen to the ice your walking on very carefully. Chisel with every stride. Dont go alone but no two people should be close together. Take some rope. Tie loops on both ends. Guy on point should not be the one carrying the rope…

Oh and dont fall. Kooty and I saw a big guy fall next to us on first ice once. She cracked pretty good. Looked like he was laying in the middle of a spider web. No good.

ps-dont even think of asking BrianK to go with you…….

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I ran into more of the same today on the SAME LAKES I tested a couple days ago. Today I found 4″ of ice.. and still a couple open pockets of water on one lake, and the other lake is still near 50% open.

I cant name lake names because some are popular and people might act on hearing there is 4″ on some of the lake. I am not going to be responsable for anyone getting wet!

Its going to be bad news in another week when the lake that is half open freezes up.. its in the metro and people will see others standing on the ice and assume its safe. Someone is going swimming when they hit what is open now

I’ll be on the ice tomorrow. I will be checking every few feet on the way out and not straying off the path.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.