North Metro Ice

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any one been out checking ice on the north side of the cities. Ham Lake is froze over from shore to shore but no one fishing. Didnt get a chance to check depth. I will most likely take a drive around in the morning and check soem areas with the chisel. Hope I might even be able to get out on rush in the afternoon.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I think you would be ok to do a thickness check near shore.
    I checked a lake near stillwater and had 1.5 10 yards from shore. It is nice ice too! It barely cracked until I went out a little further. Maybee tommorrow but most likely next weekend I’ll be out.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I do plan on sticking pretty close to shore where ever I go. Dont forget the ice picks.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

9 degrees at 1:00 a.m. at Rush City. I gotta believe East is either going or close to going. I don’t know about West. Good luck if you go sir!

dd

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

Had a stellar crappie bite last night on coon lake. 4″+ in the channel. Entire lake is completely locked up. I would have to think with it getting down to 9 whole degrees over night, most of the main basins SHOULD be walkable by tonight. I’m think of chasing some gills right now. Chisago chain is probably good to go (with caution) maybe a little “squeak cheek shuffle”.

The season is in full throttle! Catch me if you can.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Had a stellar crappie bite last night on coon lake. 4″+ in the channel.

Your killing me! I was going to go there to poke a few holes witht he chisel to check the ice conditions.

Anything becides potato chip crappies? It hasnt been what it used to be in the recent years.

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

ooooohhhhhhhhh I really (and I mean REALLY) had to sort through them. Had some pretty decent ones here and there. Ended up keeping 5 for dinner at 2:30 this morning. Never did measure them with a tape, but if I had to guess I would say about 10″ +/-. Had a great time.

lamarboarder911
    maple grove mn

wats up guys? i was out on a little lake by waconia today . there was a good four inches on the whole lake, but the lake is only around 200 acres. kinda slow till dusk then i got two waleyes.But it was nice to be on the ice finaly. there was a guy on wacoinia(in the bay) today with a house, kinda nuts if you ask me. well good luck to all and be safe.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Welcome to the site JP.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

just got off of buffalo 3.5-4 inchs. there was about 20 or so portables. i caught 23 potato chip sizes crappies and two walleyes about 8 inchs. the ice fishing season is here and in full swing.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks for the updates guys and welcome to the site!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.