Scouting on a couple metro lakes.

• metrolunker
    Metro lakes

I went to Phalen lake and check the ice thickness. I walk about 50 yards out on the southeast side and there is about 3-4″ of good ice but the lake is not all frozen. Still have lots for water to be frozen. The little one behind it, has a good solid 4 1/2″ of ice all the way around and middle. I didn’t check keller but it look about the same and it’s all frozen. Also went to the south bay on whitebear lake and the ice is 3-4″ too, the bay is almost all frozen. Maybe next week will be a good to go.

col._klink
    St Paul

Did you check the Ramesy beach on White Bear???

metrolunker
    Metro lakes

Quote:

Did you check the Ramesy beach on White Bear???

Nope, I was at the docking area. I walked about 60 yards or more from shore. I should of check the Ramsey beach but I figure it’s about the same thickness of Ice or a little less. For me, the thickness of ice is not good enough to venture far so I didn’t go any farther. Maybe by the end of next week it will be good enough, if the weather is like these couple of days.

desperado

Quote:

The little one behind it, has a good solid 4 1/2″ of ice all the way around and middle.

If you’re talking about the little lake right accross from the Phalen boat ramp …

Did you actually walk all the way to the middle?

Did you punch a hole and actually measure that ice with a tape measure or measuring stick?

I was on that lake just before noon today. There was 3 inches around the edges and when you get about a third of the way between shore and the middle, it went to 2.25 inches really quickly. You can see the transition line quite clearly; it is a definite white ring in the ice all the way around the lake. I never stepped over that line; just reached over with the chisel to punch a hole and reached over with the stick to measure.

If you found 4.5 inches somewhere else, bonus for you. But if anyone else reads this and decides to try going out there, don’t expect to be able to just run out to the center without checking every few steps along the way.

Also take the right precautions when checking early ice for the first time. (note I followed all of these myself today)

Make your first check in the daylight. I was tempted to checked it last night, but I waited until this morning.

Wear picks and a life jacket; carry a chisel and check the ice every few steps; carry a rope and have someone behind you (it’s pretty tough to pull yourself out with that piece of rope)

col._klink
    St Paul

I will have the skinny on the Bear Sunday! It is my favorite lake!!! Should be ready to fish eyes out of Ramesy hopefully in a couple days!!

metrolunker
    Metro lakes

Quote:

Did you actually walk all the way to the middle?

Yes, I did.

Quote:

Did you punch a hole and actually measure that ice with a tape measure or measuring stick?

NAAHHH, I walk on the lake and took a guess, of course I punch a hole and measure it with a tape measure.

Quote:

I was on that lake just before noon today. There was 3 inches around the edges and when you get about a third of the way between shore and the middle, it went to 2.25 inches really quickly. You can see the transition line quite clearly; it is a definite white ring in the ice all the way around the lake. I never stepped over that line; just reached over with the chisel to punch a hole and reached over with the stick to measure.

I went over that line you are talking about, pop a hole and measure close to the middle of the lake.

Quote:

If you found 4.5 inches somewhere else, bonus for you. But if anyone else reads this and decides to try going out there, don’t expect to be able to just run out to the center without checking every few steps along the way.

This is first ice and anyone walking on any lake now, should always take the precaution to Bring all your saftety gear and becareful not to wonder around without checking the ice first.

I actually did some fishing on that little lake behind phalen today, I think it’s call round lake. I arrived there around 4:30pm, It was kind of dark already when I got there and pack up at around 7:45pm. I didn’t catch anything big to brag about but had some fun catching some potato chip crappies and sunnies. It was pretty cold out there, I hope the weather is like this for a couple more weeks so these metro lake will be all iced up to fish.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks for the reports Metrolunker!!!! Keep them coming!!!!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I drove by Battle creek lake in maplewood on the south side of i-94 yesterday and there were about a dozen people on the ice. This lake can be decent for early pike action and a few decent crappies if one has the itch. I didn’t check the ice for thickness yet though.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I fished battle creek/mud lake a lot last year the pike action is great. there were days we would get hit in the face by the flag more than once a day. It is good all winter for small pike. largest I caught there was almost 30 inches but most are under 24 inches. I might get out there this weekend. If anyoone wants tips for that lake just pm me.

kabbie55106

Just before dark on 12-3-6 I seen 5 or so people fishing on Round Lake. Thats the lake on the north west side of lake Phalen. Dont know about thickness of the ice but they were fishing. Going to check it myself tonight.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Welcome aboard Kabbie!

col._klink
    St Paul

Checked Peltier and Centerville today. Good news on Peltier is there is 3″ to 4″ as far as I travled about 200 yards from shore then there is a clear line I did not want to venture across.

Centerville has good ice around the pump house with 3″ solid clear inches of ice. However out form water works there is a good chunk of open water loaded with about 1,000 honkers!

White Bear Lake is locked up. However by the time I got there darkness was setting in and I did not venture out to far from Ramesy beach. But there is 3″ 100 yards out from shore!

I will be out this weekend for sure!

kabbie55106

Quote:

Just before dark on 12-3-6 I seen 5 or so people fishing on Round Lake. Thats the lake on the north west side of lake Phalen. Dont know about thickness of the ice but they were fishing. Going to check it myself tonight.

I went out on round lake last night [monday] and checked the ice close to shore. It was 5 inches a few yards off shore. Didnt check further out due to sounds the ice was making. I got a little spooked and decide is was better to leave that swim .

Thinking about heading out there tonight to try again should be good I hope.

Phalen was still open. Only a few yards of ice out from shore.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for all the reports guys. Soon they will change ice reports to fishing reports!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.