Best Perch Lakes in SW MN

• trophy190
    NW IA

I live on the border of IA and MN in NW IA, and want to take my kids perch fishing during x-mas break. I was hoping someone could tell me some of the best perch lakes south of the cities and maybe a good place to stay. I asked this question on another popular MN site and received no replies

waterfowler99
    Midwest

not from that area but i’m sure one of the guys will pop on here and give you some areas of interest

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Lake Sarah in Murray County has some nice perch in it. There are some small pothole lakes in Lincoln County that have perch too. I have got into the crappies and walleyes on Lake Shetek also. I believe there is a lake or two near Worthington that has some decent perch fishing.

The fishing is not fantastic in this area. It is really hit or miss. I lived down there for three years and I usually drove North to go fishing. It is so much better in Central MN and north. I did catch a half dozen true jumbos out of Sarah though.

the_grump
    Le Center

You could find some decent fishing in the Mankato area, Lakes like Jefferson, and Washington have plenty of perch, but they run a little small. You can find some nice crappies and sunnies. There are plenty of lakes in the area.

Don Hanson

Sarah would be a good bet. The ones around the Worthington area that Bigfife is talking about, are probably Round and Clear lake. Like he said, they are hit and miss.

shaley
    Milford IA

Bays on Boji would get my vote should have good ice by break time. I spent 9 days between X Mas and New Years on Millers last year catching perch and eyes.

schrauth

You’re in a good location and probably don’t need to drive up north for perch. Like others have noted, Spirit Lake and W. Okoboji are very good lakes for perch and walleyes.

Consider going farther east, just south of Fairmont, MN and try Iowa Lake and South Silver. A good perch bite emerged this fall on these lakes; that should mean good ice fishing. Iowa lake is good-sized and might put up some sustainable numbers despite fishing pressure. Access to both lakes is good. Like others said, the perch population is cyclic so check the reports for the best action.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.