4″ of ice this weekend and someting to catch

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

Where am I going to have to go to find it? There has to be some smaller lake somewhere piling on the ice.

Anybody got any suggestions? Chasing crappies or tip-ups.. who cares, I just want to fish and willing to travel a couple hours from the metro!

shayla

I heard, but am skeptical, that Waconia has 6-7″. If that is true, I would think any of the smaller lakes around there might be worth a try. Seriously though, I don’t see how that report can be true.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

I heard, but am skeptical, that Waconia has 6-7″. If that is true, I would think any of the smaller lakes around there might be worth a try. Seriously though, I don’t see how that report can be true.

NO WAY! I live just north of there and most of the lakes are still open. The wind last night didn’t allow any ice to form.

I’m thinking you will have to head north of brainerd or duluth. BE CAREFUL!

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

I’am anxious too, but it’s gonna be pretty hard around here.

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

I would be shocked at that too. Minnetonka from Spring park bay all the way around the lake to hwy 12/394 did not have hardly any ice this morning.

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

LOTW Baby…We have ice and not just in the bar on the bay and the lake

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Dave only drives that far for catfish! I’d go to LOTW this weekend if I could, however.

dd

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

There are some lakes in the Aitkin area that seem to form the fastest for some reason. One is just north of McGregor.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

4″ of ice this weekend…..sounds at least like a 250 pounder

I’d be happy with a good 2 of first clear ice this weekend
    The wind has not been a help in my area at this time either But the cold weather is good

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I walked on water today near St. Cloud. There was atleast two inches on the lake, so it should be safe this weekend. Every year I can walk out there 30 feet on first ice and catch crappies, perch, walleyes, and northerns.

Hunting or fishing this weekend?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

:

Easy on uis BIG guys Brett!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I walked on water today near St. Cloud. There was atleast two inches on the lake, so it should be safe this weekend. Every year I can walk out there 30 feet on first ice and catch crappies, perch, walleyes, and northerns.

Hunting or fishing this weekend?

You got all winter to fish!!!! HUNT!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Quote:

:

Easy on uis BIG guys Brett!

Why

david_scott
    Twin Cities

LOTW isnt going to work with christmas coming or I would be on my way now!

If anyone knows of anythig and they dont want to post to the public, please feel free to send me a PM.

Some of the metro lakes started to freeze within an hour of the time the wind died this afternoon.. I was shocked to see the shallow lakes hold out as long as they are. I suspect a few lakes will be locked up by morning.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

The lake behind my house in Eagan has been frozen for two days. I’ll be poking test holes this weekend.

Checking back in…2″-2.5″ in the South Metro!!!!

goldenbobby
    Pine River MN

Quote:

I’m thinking you will have to head north of brainerd or duluth. BE CAREFUL!

30 miles north of Brainerd theres a town called Cross Lake which is right next to the whitefish chain. One of the little lakes thats connected to it should be safe to walk on. The lake is call Loon.

To get fishing report go to this link

http://www.outdoornews.com/hunting_and_fishing_reports/

david_scott
    Twin Cities

goldenbobby..

I know that area well, I have family in Ossippee(by Mission)… lots of little lakes around there, but I havent fished them for years.

If I heard a reliable good ice report, I would be inclined to give it a shot!

beave
    MPLS

Dave, if you want to used the cabin this weekend and scout out the area give me a ring. We were up over Thanksgiving and most lakes in the area had ice-except ours of course. I walked out a ways on 2 lakes within 5 miles of us, 2-3.5 inches of ice last weekend.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I may have to take you up on that beave!

Im going to do a little more research for something closer, but I might have to break down and dissapear for the weekend!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.