Ice fishing for slab crappies…with no ice…

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Justin P. and I proved that you don’t need ice to catch slab crappies on the short rods today. We spent a few hours of the afternoon, into the dark targeting crappies and whatever else would bite on pool 8. I couldn’t get a ride so I took my bike, 6 ice rods, lx-3 and aqua-vu along with a bucket and tackle and headed for lacrosse, about 7 miles from my house to the destination. it was a long treck but well worth it. We caught all fish in around 10 feet of water and they were hanging near structure trust me, you wouldn’t guess the structure we were fishing. but they were all over at different depths on the structure which made them easy to catch because they would eat it no matter where you put your bait on the structure. I quit using the flasher at one point because the screen was so loaded i couldn’t see my bait in between! So we had a great time jigging small jigs and justin used a sweedish pimple. Everything was tipped with a waxworm for the day. We didn’t catch any REAL hogs, but the average fish was 10″ long with at least 5 that would have pushed over 11. Sadly, a couple of the big ones that we had didn’t make their way to the bucket. One was released as it was the first fish and we didn’t know what was coming, another broke off, and we had a couple lost while trying to land them. The biggest one that made it to the bucket was 11-1/4″. It was a great time and way to spend the afternoon, minus the rain we recieved early on. I kept 17 crappies that will make a great lunch or supper one of these days when I find some time. We’re dying for ice here in La Crosse, but there are plenty of ways to get your fix with a little creativity and motivation! get out there and dust off your ice rods and flashers!

-Cade

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

the top one was 11-1/4 inches. Here are 3 of the more respectable sized crappies we caught (smallest kept was 9″)
    with the big one on bottom.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

all 17 of them together

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Nice slabs, Cade… Looks like dinner is served!!!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Very nice crappies Cade. Rochester, Mn will see highs in only the 30s and 20s come Wednesday and you are just east about 70 miles so you should get the cold blast too I would think. That will make for some very cold ice making night temps.
    Thanks, Bill

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Great job Cade! Looks like great way to spend the afternoon.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Nicely done Cade, Nicely done!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Way to go guys

emover
    Malcom, IA

Good job, Cade and Justin P.

dave

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thanks guys we’re heading back tomorrow after school, we’ll let you know how we did
    later,
    Cade

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

well as promised, I have an update on how we did today. The major front that moved thru seemed to actually turn the fish on even more today! Although the size was not as great as sunday, we caught a ton of fish, and quite a few over 10 inches once again. I used a small ice jig to start and switched to a forage minnow spoon for the rest of the time. Justin used a sweedish pimple in two different colors for the entire time. I think the forage minnow caught more fish that the sweedish pimple, but I also had the advantage of using a camera and the flasher which was really fun. All in all, we had a great time. I have a feeling we will be back on the weekend, but we might be standing on it instead! That probably isn’t a reality but i know we will have to punch through some ice to get our lines down off the docks. Water temp sits at 42* and needs to come down a bit yet for the ice to set up. We should have skim-1/4″ by morning, hopefully, however it is kind of windy out. It was nice to have line freezing up on the reals again, and I am really ready to get on the ice now!
    good luck,
    Cade

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

here’s justin with a slabber!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

heres another for justin

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

one more slab…we caught many more of this size early on and tons of 8-10 inchers as well. It was a great time and worth the frozen toes and fingers!

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Hey Cade, looks like you have your first ice spot all set!!! Won’t be long now and you’ll be able to get out and find the slabs. Keep hooking them and posting the pictures.

Ed

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thanks, yeah we will be heading back to this spot in the winter, but the one we are really interested in is twice as good. I just wish there was a way to walk on soft water….

krisko
    Durand, WI

I doubt the water is very soft down there this morning….couple more nights and you’ll be able to be out there….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.