LOTW Ice

• wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

Hi Guys,

Just a note to let you know what’s going on up here with the ice. Not much to be honest.

Our bay was locked up then we got 40 mile an hour winds and temps in the 50’s. We still have ice around the docks out to the weed bed.

The forecast is cold after Thursday. All it will take is 2 cold days and no wind and we are in. Once we are froze over it doesn’t take long to make ice.

Happy Turkey Day and bring on the cold.

Cat

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Thanks Cathy.

I am looking forward to that first ice where we have to walk past Pine Island

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

I’m not quite that brave but if I don’t get to go ice fishing soon I might start going through withdrawl.

Been waitin’ for this since April

millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

Hi Cat
    I deer hunt up around the Baudette area out of my ice fishing shack. On the way home we decided to leave my shack at my cousins house in Bemidji so we could save some money hauling it, because we are planning on coming back up to fish LOTW as soon as it’s frozen. Anyways, my cousin said he doesn’t think it will be ready for vehicles until at least Christmas, is that what you are thinking too? Also, out of curiosity, how much earlier does LOTW tend to freeze over than Mille Lacs does?
    Thanks!

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you…
    We are expecting an arctic front in the next couple of days. So if we can get those temps and no wind with the ice we already have we will get ice quick…

I’ve seen 6″ form overnight and once we get there it won’t matter what the temp we will be making ice

We just have to wait and see what happens up here…

Predicting anything on this lake is nearly impossible

I will definately keep you posted….

Cat

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the update. Now is the time to get your dates booked to head north guys.

scottsteil
    Central MN

The earlier you can get on LOTW the better, man I remember those days taking jeeps across 4 mile and pulling everyone on trailers. Early ice on LOTW is FUN!!

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

OK Now for the latest on the ice…….

The bay is froze over completely…told you it wouldn’t take long once it got cold and calm…

The river is froze from Baudette to the bay also but that won’t be ready for quite a while with the current….

Depending on what the weather brings we should be on the ice next week in the Zuki’s if not it will be really close…I’ll keep you posted

See you on the ice

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks again. What is the earliest date you ar ebooking reservations for?

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

We have bookings for Dec. 1 but that is pushing it…
    Our next reservations are for the 6th and we are hoping to be offically open on the 7th

With that said the latest report is that the entire lake is frozen for as far as you can see

I’m thinking there will be people walking out this weekend….

Think cold, think ice

Cat

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Think cold, think ice

People down South think we are nuts..I guess we are

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Alright I know it got down past zero tonight up there,…..How much! How much!
    Can I see a picture of that beautiful LOTW ice?

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

We have 3 1/2 inches on the big lake which means we probbly have 4 1/2 on the bay

there have been people walking out there and someone pulled a portable out there…….I guess I wouldn’t get that carried away…It is kinda cool when you walk outside and it’s making ice, It sounds like a big bowl of Rice Krispies…Snap, crackle, pop

I will send someone out to get the skinny later today or tomorrow on the bay…Then I will post picrures….

Ice…..What a beautiful sight

Cat

jldii

Cat,

Who’s going to be working the “Ice fishing” show for you in St. Paul this weekend? I want to reserve a lodge room for a mid-week trip the 1st or 2nd week of March.

Any IDA member discounts?

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

Tom, the owner, will be there. He doesn’t let me go to fun stuff like that…So go give him some crap for me

Tell him you are with IDA and he will hook you up

Are you planning on going to the reefs or staying on the south shore in March?

Cat

jldii

I don’t know where I’ll be going. I’ve never ice fished up there, but decided it was time that I should. I’ll be using your ice fishing service for a day or two at first to see where and what is going on, and then using my own equipment and driving out in my truck after that. I plan on arriving on Sunday and leaving Friday A.M. so you can resale the room for the weekend.

scottsteil
    Central MN

You will be going to the reefs then Jack. Give me a shout before you go. I usually spend all of Feb. running trips on LOTW. They are some of the best of the year

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

The reefs are awesome that time of year…Look forward to seeing you then

Cat

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.