Ice fishing augers (hand augers)

• John Luebker

Well I have some money for chirstmas and thought I could use a new hand ice auger. Lazers use to be the way to go but I noticed that cabelas doesn’t even sell them any more. Is there a new one on the market I should consider? Since this site is full of great resources I thought I would pose the question and see what type of augers people liked. I am only interested in a hand auger and any suggestions would be great.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

6″ lazer—-cuts fast and blades are approaching their 4th season you can still get them at wally world or farm and barn as far as i know

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Buy the lazer at walmart.. its cheaper there anyhow. I havent heard anything bad about nils except they are diffeent to get used to.

The lazer I have has a few years on it, same blades and it cuts easy(6″), and it works great with a cordless drill attatchment. I have a new set of blades but havent needed them yet.

If you do consider Nils, I would look around and see availability of blades for when you do need them.. they are not that common of a product yet and might ruin a trip if you cant locate blades.

bigbass51
    Waukon IA

cabelas still does carry the lazers they arent in any of the catalogs or website they are a retail only item. I do work in the fishing department in the Prarie Du Chein Cabeals and as far as i know we have them or are getting them. The experience i have with the nils master is that they are alright but customers have a hard time finding the replacement head for the auger and from what ive heard customers tell me is that they could almost buy a new auger for what the replacement head cost. My vote goes to the lazer having used both the mora and the lazer the lazer is a lot faster through the ice.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

6″ Lazer hands down.
    Ryan Hale

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Fishing dept. in Cabelas? Then you have to know Steve G. We grew up in the same town 15 miles from PDC and we are only a year or two apart. I think his son works there too. Great guy. He used to write an outdoor column for a local paper many moons ago.

I have to say the Lazer is the best I have used. I’ve got a 5″ Mora that is also a good auger for panfishing. You’d be surprized how much faster you can drill with a 5″ over a 6″.

Eyehunter

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I seen nilsmasters at Cabelas the other day, 4.5 inch hmmm I was going to go 5 inches on a hand 4.5 only a half inch smaller does scare me a little. I do have an 8″ power auger. I think it was $79

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I love my 6″ Lazer..they are one of the best for re-cutting holes too !!!

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I have a 5″ Lazer and it is great for panfish fishing, ig I fish for bigger fish I use my 7″ power auger, also when the ice gets thick!!!

Ed

ozzyky
    On water

Johnny boy,

Take it from a local back in your “home turf” . and the others vouching for the 6 inch lazer. You can’t beat it. Great auger and the blades are tough. When you start making the big bucks like me, you can buy that power auger too. Hand auger is good for early ice though.

John Luebker

Thanks Guys – I think I will start looking at the Lazers.

Ozzyky – I might have to get back to the home turf and you can show me the good spots I mean how good your auger works

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.