Favorite ice fishing rod

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I have been looking at all the different brand/style/length ice fishing rods that are available now days. Just wondering what is your favorite?

MikeBull
    Farmington, Minnesota

Any of the St. Croix rods are by far the best rods on the market. Just depends on what a guy is fishing for.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’m sorry for not having a brand for you but I bought a custom made rod at Hooked on Fishing last year. The rod has a nice wooden handle and a St Croix blank I believe. The rod has some great sensitivity and good backbone for the hookset. It is a panfish rod but I’m sure you could have one made for any species you want. Those rods are quality

Chris

Tyee
    Greater St Michael Area

Thorne Bros Sweetheart Perch rod has my vote!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I myself like a 28″ rod that has some backbone for a hookset on a heavy walleye!!! There is nothing like setting the hook on a big fish, and the fish get’s the best of you!! You know when it decides when and where it’s going to go!!!

Guess I’m feeling the ice itch……

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have a couple of Lightning Rods that I like a lot…

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Thorne Bros Sweetheart Perch rod has my vote!

Amen to that brother. That Perch rod is saaaweeeet.
    For walters I’m not too picky. A good straight cork handle graphite 28 – 32 inches.

Since 95% of my fishing is outside I’m starting to turn to rods a bit longer.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

I have a couple of Lightning Rods that I like a lot…

I still sport a few of those. They’re a great rod.

Cut it out guys I’m getting all itchy. I’m going to go play with my go devil spoons now.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Guess I’m feeling the ice itch……

Me too, my favorite rod is one that is doubled over
    I’m going with Dave on the Lightning. It does fine on bull gills

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Custom built pike rod from Thornes. 28″ Sweetheart with a baitcaster setup and crazy eye layout for sight jigging pike.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Tell me more about sight jigging pike? That sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!And i thought sight jigging crappies 2 inches under the ice was fun!

heres what I like:
    since I don’t believe it takes much to outsmart a sunfish, I just buy mid priced stuff. I feel that 30 dollars is about the limit that I would like to spend for an ice rod combo. I have a frabil panfish rod, 24″ that I love for fishing gills and crappies sitting on a bucket. My mobile rod for real shallow water is longer, probably like 3-1/2 feet and it works awesome because you don’t have to stand right over the hole and spook fish in shallow, clear water. Its homemade (my uncle made it) and not too pretty but I really love it.
    can’t wait for ice.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

St Croix avid or premiers!! I have a few legends, but I like the 28″ inch st. croix’s!!!

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

I have to agree with Chris,I also have a couple of rods made by “Hooked on Fishing” and they are the best rods I have by far.They are made with St Croix blanks and I like the wooden handles(you can get any tipe of handle you want).

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

I like my homemade Bluegill rods.

AMEN to that Blue !!!

I still have a couple left that you made…what are they Blue ? 46″ long, St.Croix Rod Blank, line goes thru the rod to a coil spring bobber…in-line reel at the handle…man …there is nothing better for hole jumping pannies on the ice

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

My favorite panny rod is a “Currants Noodle Rod”
    Super cheap & extremely wimpy fibergalss white with red tips. The only problem is finding more of them. I cannot find them anywhere HELP!!! I have never found a rod that loaded up with a small Glow Devel like these where you can see up and down bites well and fish 2 lb. no problem!

If anyone knows where to find these let me know.

Thanks,

Ferny.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Thorne Bros sweetheart rods.

Amazing the difference in the rods I used to use. Very nice tip and strong backbone.

The perch and dead stick rods are great too.

I pulled in a 38 inch northern a couple of years ago with the dead stick.

Some folks think the $50.00 – $60.00 price is too much. I wouldnt hesitate to spend twice that on a rod for summer use.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have a Thorne Bros. Perch Sweetheart Plus and I love it for walleyes and jumbo perch. The plus is a little heavier. Number one on the Xmas list this year is the Sweetheart. I looked at some Ultra Light St. Croix set ups the other night. Out of the Legend, Avid, and Premier, I honestly think the Premier was the best one. I hate the handle on the Legend, and the Avid was too stiff. The Premiers are similar to the Thorne Bros. rods, but half the price.

trwilson
    Savage Minn.

Try Wristsaver Ice Rods come in 5 different actions. I love them I dont even like picking up a straight rod any more.

http://www.wristsaverrods.com

Terry Wilson

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I aquired a bunch of Frabill Utra Ice Rods and Sensive rods.. I am very impressed with them. Very light weight, small diameter, great actions.. I cant say enough good things about them when comparing them to my arscenal of *other* ice rods. Things even have a GOOD hook keeper on them.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I agree with Bigfife

The Thorne Brothers Sweatheart rod is

Ron

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I also have some Custom St. Croix ice fishing rods from Hooked On Fishing. Very sweet sensitive rods. They also ship rods too.
    Thanks, Bill

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I agree with Hairy Pout!(whatta name! lol) All we use is the Wristsaver combo’s in our house. The reels are the Mitchel “Spider Mite” in 3 and 5 ball bearing models. The first reels they came out with a few years back were NOT good but the past two years, the reels are the SAME reel we are all familiar with and work just fine.

No more awkward grips to keep the rod pointing at the hole. I hate fishing with ANY straight rod handles now…..why would you?

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im not sure if they sell them anymore but Galyans used to put their name on ice rods. Generic looking and cheap. The panfish rods are excellent. I have 3 and after several years cant imagine wearing them out. Slap on a good tiny reel and you have the best panfishing rig available. I prefer the UL 24″ and have two of those. I have a longer one for bigger panfish like Crappie. With 2 lb test they are machines. Good looking, good quality and so little money.

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

NOTHING BUT Thorne rods for this guy !

-Sweethearts (both perch & walleye sweethearts)
    -Sweetpeas
    -Finess
    -Deadsticks (gotta have the deadstick)
    And trust me, the list goes on.
    Any of you who may not know, all the other rods are knockoffs from the Thorne rods. SOME may have duplicated…
    BUT nobody has got it mastered like the boys at Thornes.
    I’m not just spoutin off hear. When you get a hit you can feel the teeth from the fish hit the jig. If a fish swims by your jig and lets out a sigh you know it, because you feel it. If you’ve never tried one. DO IT. It is worth the money. I can’t say enough about them.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

My favorite rods is the one that is pulling back!!!!!
    I have a couple St. Croix customs from HOF that work really well for me.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i have used steve fellegy’s wristsaver rods 1 time and i think that there is something to be said about them. i have some solid graphite blanks that would be interesting to try in one of the wristsaver handles. as far as what i use every day, i make my own with the st. croix solid graphite, the longer the better. the 32″ is better, but it is harder to get, must be popular. 34″ and 36″ blanks make great rods for fishing in a otter. the way i have my otter set up, i sit inside the tub with my back close to the back wall and my feet inside the tub. that gives you alot more room to fish and the heater is further away from your rod tip and line. custom seating in the otters is way cheaper than the stock seating. one of the reasons that i started making my own ice rods is i couldn’t find rods that were long enough for my style of fishing in a otter style fishhouse……………..tom fellegy

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.