What Type of ATV For Ice Fishing

• tonyholland00
    Plymouth MN

Hello looking at getting a ATV for only Ice fishing use. Do i need 4X4 or can 2X4 with chains do? How high of CC’s do i need. I am looking at Honda Ranchers in the 350 400 range. I am only going to use it for ice fishing. Pulling only a Fish Trap Yukon or a atv trailer with my house and friends on it.

Thanks,

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Get the 4 wheel drive.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I agree. I have a Bombardier Outlander 330HO and on ice and snow 4X4 is a must if you want to get anywhere…RR

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

You would be WAAAY happier with a 4 wheel drive. We have both and even with chains on the 2 wheeler , its not enough a lot of times.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Why do they make a 4×2 anyways….

4 x 4

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Ice won’t get thick enough this year so buy a new boat instead.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Ice won’t get thick enough this year so buy a new boat instead.

Who let the party pooper in here

It looks like 4×4 hands down. I do have a question though for the ones that have ran the 4×2 with chains. How much snow does it take to bog it down? Also, on just ice how does it pull a load?
    I’m just asking because if a guy could pick up a 4×2 for $200 (thanks to relatives) I would like to know what its limits are without finding out the hard way

deepportage

My wifes 250 polaris 4×2 pulls only in ideal conditions less that 6 inches of snow and if there is water on the ice she’s done[with chains]. The more weight you pull with it the worse it gets but it will work in a pinch but ageen not the ideal avt for ice fishing. if you have plowed roads the whole way your good to go, any x country should be out of the ?

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

For ice fishing use a snowmobile. That’s the way to go.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

or a 4×4 ATV with tracks….awesome looking setup!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

First off…I will agree with everyone here…you will be sorry if you get a 2×4 for ice fishing… I’ve tried using 2 wheel on my four wheel…just don’t work reliable.

I would be inclined to agree with the snowmobile…as there is advantages over a wheeler.

A sled is legal to ride on the road and the wheeler isn’t at least in my town. That’s a major pain for me as it’s 9 tenths of a mile to the river…so I have to trailer it down there. Generally a sled is a little faster too…if that’s important to you. Now if there’s another reason to have a wheeler besided ice fishing…that changes things.

Good luck in your decision!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

i haven’t even driven it yet, but this will be my choice of wheels for ice fishing this year

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

If you fish northen Minnesota and or big lakes a fan cooled snowmobile would give you more options.

Being fan cooled you won’t have to worry about keeping heat exchangers cool if there is little to no snow.

No woories about deep snow, slush, pressure ridges, cracks….

Faster, warmer and more comfortable too.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

How deep of snow will a normal 4X4 ATV go through? I am looking at picking up something within the next year and am trying to decide between a sled or an ATV. Ted

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Hard to say. But probably around 5 or 6 inches max.

At this point you have a gamble to make. Snowmobile or ATV. Last 3 years on Mille lacs, I could get anywhere on the lake on my yamaha atv. It sure is nice to use a snowmobile all year long though. With a snowmobile you are unstoppable.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.