LAX, WI area gtg anyone?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I think it would be a great idea We now have some good ice in this area and I hope this snow doesn’t hurt it any. We are expecting 5-7″ from now until Monday morning
    I would think once we get the Mille Lac GTG out of the way, then we could get something going here

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

I’m in for sure. Would like to meet some other IDA guys the only one I have met is amwatson and thats because hes family.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

setting this up with a lot of IdA’ers will be a piece of cake I must have seen 8 different IDAers this weekend alone…But the problem is finding a place that has good fishing and room that is not a secret spot I know I’m not comfortable giving up one of my best places for the GTG, although it would be fun for a day…but not worth it in a long term look. Just thought I would touch base here. I’d like to hear some Ideas as to where people want to go…I still say Stoddard or the Lake have to be the best places for space and not giving up honey holes but its up to the majority of the IDA people I’m thinking in the next 2-3 weeks we should have good enough ice for a large magnatude event. we have a variety of conditions, some ice over 6″, some under 2″ and some around 3-4. once we can say that those 2″ areas are 8″, we are in business

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Lake Onalaska would be your best bet. Plenty of parking and a bait shop within walking distance. There is plenty of lodging nearby. There are a lot of different areas to fish on the North side of the lake.

Downtown LaX is within a 10 min drive too.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am going to agree with Lake Onalaska. The reasons stated by chambers makes this the best area. There is all kinds of space for people to spread out or be all together. The lake offers gills, perch, crappies, bass, and northerns. There are also some good sized fish in all species. I went out there today and seen there are people walking quite a ways out now. I didn’t notice any wheelers or sleds yet, but it was pretty quiet out there this afternoon

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

One my favorites,

Was out there yesterday…..Ok ice 4 to 5 wherever I tried….. Fish’in was slow…

but that usually does’nt last long.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

alright, lets plan for the lake then I agree, that there just isn’t enough parking space anywhere else…If we could drive on the ice, It wouldn’t be an issue, but I’m not sure if that will happen or not this winter once the mille lacs gtg gets out of the way, lets set a date

riverfan
    MN

Is it to early to set a date?

John

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am good for any weekend in February

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

no its not too early…We can set a date anytime.. But A lot of people are going to be missing from IDA until after the GTG on Mille Lacs..

riverfan
    MN

Feb 11 is out for me.

John

eyebuster
    Duluth

Not that you need to base it on me but I have a Wild game on the 10th work the 17 and 18 and have another game the 25. Could get there in the morning for a few hours the 10th and after 10am on the 17 and 18.

So in short the best for me would be weekend of the 3rd and the 25.

Would show up for a few hours either way!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

TTT..Mille Lacs GTG is over…

How about
    Saturday February 17?

or we can make it a 2 dayer? I’m thinking for the lodging available, and all, a 1 day might be more practical. Lets see what people think…If the 17th doesn’t work for a lot of people, we can keep plugging at dates and see which works best for the most people. After we set a date, we’ll have to think of what we are going to have going on besides fishing…I’m afraid we won’t top the mille lacs gtg…but we gotta at least have some tasty brats!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Ron Whites in town, but thats not until that night. where are you thinking?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Lake Onalaska..everything’s in the posts above

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

whatever… figure out times see some of you there

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Nick, I’m sorry, but I don’t understand why you are acting so defensive towards me lately..You asked a question of me, and I replied with a legitamate answer…Was there something else you were looking for?
    If so, let me know, and I will try my best to provide the answer to that also .
    Thanks,
    Cade

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Nope alls good here… what times are you thinking for the event?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

whenever-whenever

basically, as soon as people want to get out there, until as soon as people want to leave. But we should schedule some time anyway as far as lunch goes, if we want to have an on-the-ice brat grill out. maybe we could even cook up some fish on the grill as well

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

gas grill I’ll have my little charcoal grill for that great charcoal taste.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Someday’s on the ice, I’m so hungry I’d almost eat the charcoal! But I agree, Charcoal tastes better.

Anyone have a fourwheeler or snowmobile? something that we could attatch a trailer to and haul people out on the lake? I don’t expect to see much vehicle traffic (besides sleds and wheelers) out there by the 17th, but you never know…

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

bring bikes

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Has anyone checked or heard what the ice conditions are on the lake? I’m sure in bye Schaffers is good. This snow has made for some soft spots. I haven’t been out there yet this year but the channel by Rose Bud is soft and there was some open water between the islands. This came info came from a friend at work. Just want to mention it so anyone running around on sleds or wheelers keeps there heads about them! This has not been a real good winter for ice so far.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I’m hoping it will have enough time to firm right up by the 17th If not…well, Shaffers is sure going to be PACKED Thats pretty amazing that there is much open water…I crossed running slough from the Bridge at goose island today with 4-5″ of ice all the way across

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

They have plowed a few roads out by schaffers I am not sure how far out or where they go. But without snow to insulate the roads should firm up quite a bit before the 17th if there is not a s load of traffic

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have to agree with Bret on this. For the most part the lake is good for foot travel. They do have a road plowed out to the cribs and in front of the landing. The area between Rosebud and the small island had open water not too long ago. I sure wouldn’t advise anything other than foot traffic for awhile if you are adventurous. But a lot can change between now and then

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Not sure if it matters, but I thought I saw a flier about an ice fishing derby for the lake on the 17th.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

THAT could change things…..

Well here’s Tony’s report……recent at that.

http://www.schafersboats.com./fishing.php

Maybe tomorrow or Friday I’ll run out and check things,including the derby, out myself.

That area around Rosebud has been iffy for cars and trucks ever since the dredging was done….

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Ok guys….talked to Tony @ Shaffer’s and there is a derby that weekend(17th)…Onalaska Lions club….The 3rd is the Conservation’s club derby.(I think I’ll make that one…always good fun and it’s for a good cause.)
    So……..
    The ice right now is about 6-8 in (checked this myself)
    But with the cold weather that’s coming up…who knows.
    There is quite a bit of parking the with the landing + the field above Shaffer’ is plowed out too.
    Just an update

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Those derby’s could make any GTG a mess. You could have it on Lawrence Lake. we did that once before. That year, you could drive up to the upper part of the lake.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.