What To Get For Ice Fishing Equipment?

• impalapower
    Madison, WI

I might be selling my snowmobiles and getting into ice fishing. I will probably be getting a portable shack and pulling it by myself, truck not allowed on ice, probably won’t purchase an ATV. I’ll need it all; shack, auger, poles, locator, you name it. I haven’t been out ice fishing in 25 years. What does everyone have? What they like and don’t like. Brand names and models. Thank you in advance.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Oh man, this could be the longest thread ever on IDA. Plenty of opinions out there. I also have to walk to my spots majority of the time, so I will tell you what I have. Fish Trap Yukon house, Vexilar FL-8, Strikemaster Lazer Mag 2000 auger, GPS, Mr. Buddy heater, about 10 rods, and a couple tipups. I can put everything in the sled and cover it if I want to. Not all the best equipment, but with the set up I can fish with the best of em. You might want to look into a lighter house than mine, a MarCum flasher, and some sweet Thorne Bros. rods. Don’t forget the tackle and bait.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Pick up a copy of the In-Fisherman 2007 Ice Fishing guide.
    If you plan on buying all new gear, this will give you most of whats out there for houses, augers, etc.

You’ll find great deals in IDA’s classifieds on used portable houses, augers, and locators.

Read the fishing reports on IDA as to what is working best on your body of water as far as tackle goes.

Talk to your local bait shop as to what people are using to catch your desired species.

See you on the ice!!

dandorn

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Dun u need the snowmobiles to pull your ice fishing sled around???

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Dun u need the snowmobiles to pull your ice fishing sled around???

On the Madison lakes, ATV’s and Snowmobiles need floatation devices. Some of the areas where the fishermen set up camp are not far from shore.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Ok, I know this will be a silly statement but since it has been 25 years since your last ice outing maybe you want to tag along with someone that has all of the gear first. Ice fishing isn’t REALLY expensive but it can add up quick especially if you are buying all new stuff. It can also give you a chance to try out their equipment and see the pro’s and cons in person. If you still like to ice fish it doesn’t take long to gear up.

There are a lot of deals (sometimes deals) in the IDA classifieds at times too. Some of the guides keep their clients in the newest gear and will sell 1/2 year old gear for decent discounts that still have warranties too. Unfortunately, if you’re gearing up now you may not be able to take advantage of this since they are usually seasonal sales.

I know… how can someone not like ice fishing? … I don’t know but I’m sure it’s possible.

Happy Fishing
    Chris

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I would agree with Chris. Tag along with a few different people, and you will see what you like and dislike. Everyone has their opinions about the gear that is out there, and boy is there a TON of it to choose from. Best of luck, and have a ball.

wiswalleyenut

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

My thoughts also if go with someone or get the old 5gal bucket, a rod, a few jigs & wax worms and maybe a garage sale hand auger. Its been a long time but later you could go all out with the $$equipment if you enjoy it this year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.