ice on the Horseshoe chain

• dallgood
    Savage,MN

I’ll be fishing out of a permanant house on the Horseshoe chain for the first time this year and I’m curious about the typical ice conditions on this lake. I guess my main concern is the river flow through the lake. is the ice good all over and/or is it affected by the river. With the kids wanting to fish safety is definately the issue. thanks in advance. D.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I know one spot where we catfish there is a methane spring in 40′ of water, keeps the ice weak around it all year round. Right out in the middle of nowhere. I would stick to established roads if I were you.

lookin4fish

along with the meth hole, many of the narrowings between larger bodies of waters stay thin. there is a couple of areas to get access, and you can usually tell that others have driven. i did take my van out therer a couple of times without problems, but with currents running through there, the ice gets weak in spots quicker than the lakes. best bet is to stop at the nearest bait shop and ask them. there is one at a gas station right before you turn to head onto the road with the accesses.
    good luck

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

I would highly advise not breaking your own trail until your familure with the chain. Last year I never drove anything but an atv anywhere on the chain. The year before I was all over with a pick-up.

dallgood
    Savage,MN

sounds good,yeah we’ll definately error on the side of caution, thanks,D.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.