Creating structure?

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

On the Idea of the “structure on the line” (can’t remeber the name) what are the laws concerning creating your own strucure. Temporary like that product I have no doubt that it is legal but permanent structure sunk in a lake. Does anybody know the laws? I am just curious, my brain can use a little more info I may never use in my life!

Red3

Are you thinking of REEL WEEDS?

Red 3

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

It would be considered litter no matter what it was. If you throw it in the lake and leave it there its illegal. I think the regulations specifically have a section about sinking trees and such. That I know for sure is illegal.

So no throwing stuff in the lake!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Matt, from the way I read your post, it sounds like using ReelWeeds SOS (Structure on a String) would be breaking the law.

If you would leave them in the water and went home, that would be litter. Using them is not against the law.

I think that’s what you meant..maybe I just read it wrong?

…or, was this the third time you were wrong in ’06?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I cannot find anything in the WI regulations stating it is illegal. I do know back a few years(OK alot) old timers would drop noodles and egg shells down the hole to light up the bottom. Big help on the river, kind of an old mans flasher They made it against the law shortly after to drop anything down the hole that could not be retrieved. The old timers then started to drop tin pie pans down the hole so they could be retrieved when not being used without a problem from wardens!
    This I believe falls into the trash that Matt is talking about. I see nothing against the law about Reel Weeds I know I’m going to be making structure

shayla

With all the technology that allows a person to “see” underwater, why not just go find some real weeds? Just seems like acorny gimmick to me….what’s next, foam fish decoys like deer decoys? Maybe a little fish grunt call that blows bubbles?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

why not just go find some real weeds?

Some of the areas I fish such as, large flats and deep edges have no weeds during ice fishing season. The idea is to just get some fish to hang around long enough to increase the odds. If it will stop schooling fish for even a short time I believe it has to by you more bites.

.3 cents worth You know, inflation and all

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I think they will work good on mille lacs. The videos on the Reel Weeds website are sure impressive.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My buddies and I have been doing the structure on a string concept for years. We fish a very shallow lake with little structure or winter weed growth. In mid January the number of fish under the permanent always seemed to decrease. The crappies would dissappear, and the only chance at a walleye would be in the middle of the night. After we started dropping these little “structures”, the bite, especially during the daytime, always picked up. We have always kept it low key because it seemed like a grey area in the regs to me.

A few years ago I remember reading in the regulations that a person could get a permit from the DNR to make structure. It said something about not creating a hazard for boats even in low water conditions. I have never tried to get a permit, but my buddy claims that they have gotten them before.

Be careful about putting them too close to the house as others have stated in other posts. I have had Northerns tangle up every struture in a matter of minutes. What a mess.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Matt, from the way I read your post, it sounds like using ReelWeeds SOS (Structure on a String) would be breaking the law.

If you would leave them in the water and went home, that would be litter. Using them is not against the law.

I think that’s what you meant..maybe I just read it wrong?

…or, was this the third time you were wrong in ’06?

I mean if you left it there,

I’ve still only been wrong twice this year

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

OK. Where can I buy or order these reel weeds at a nice price? Seems like the 2005 are out of stock now.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The 2005 5 pack SOS is still available on the reelweeds.com website.

scottsteil
    Central MN

They are not illegal because they are able to be removed. The state of MN is pretty strict about putting structure in the water on your own, there is a huge permit process that you have to go through. That is what makes the Reel Weeds so nice. They are legal and can be taken with you no matter where you fish. It is not a gimick.

Oh, speaking of fish decoy’s, have you ever gone spearing? Decoys work pretty well I am not a big fan of spearing but back when I was a kid and we did, the old wood decoys were very effective.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.