tip up hooks

• livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

What size/kind of hook does everyone use on a tip up? for mainly northerns and walleyes

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I like a quick strike rig for pike and a plain # 6 hook tied below a spoon for walleyes.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the pictures Derek, that makes it very explicit.

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

yes thank you! looks like it will work well

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

The qiuck strike is my hook of choice. Better hook-ups and you greatly reduce the chance of gut hooking a trophy class pike.

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

Doesn’t a quick strike need a spinner blade or something of that nature to make it “Minnesota” legal (a lure)?

UG

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Doesn’t a quick strike need a spinner blade or something of that nature to make it “Minnesota” legal (a lure)?

UG

Yes, most quick strike rigs sold in MN will have a small blade on the leader.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

That has been a debate for awhile. I make my own rigs and I put a spinner on them just to be safe, even though pike hate something flashy and moving.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I make my own also and put a spinner on and much cheaper making your own. I have also used a mepps with a shiner and that worked good too!

One of our friendly conservation officers watched me pull up a fish and asked me if I made the rigs myself. When I told him yes he thought it was a pretty good idea. I bring out the tools to fix them on the ice and will cut the hook out if the hook does not come out easily.

One thought I have been toying with is using circle hooks just like we use for sturgeon. I’ll try it out and keep you all posted.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i have been trying circle hooks with limited sucess this year. 50% landing is all the better I have had so far! any tips or tricks to up this percentage? I know I have to remember not to set the hook, (that error has lost me a few already) but is there any thing else? and what size treble are you guys useing on your quick-strik rigs? I have had more flags with circle hook then rigs so I don’t know if that makes any difference

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

just as an update I tried my circle hooks under my tip-ups again and after haveing 7 flags and 7 fish landed I was out of bait I love them hooks now

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

ok I just that this was a good thread so I am bringing it back to the top again

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.