Time is Near!

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Also time to shake the cob webs out of the WI ice forum.
    With the temps we have had the last week in the Sparta area I can feel some early ice in the bones. It has been awhile since I have been on ice this far south during deer season but, I think this might be the year
    Jig sticks are loaded with line and raring to go. Beaver Dams are running smooth and new line is ready to be spooled. The auger never sounded or smelled better. The LX-5 is just a jumping to get on ice
    Itza coming boys
    I’m ready for a moments notice…..and you

Bret

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

I’m with you …ice in Wausau in the near future, they are probably drilling holes up north already!
    Jon

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

What are some good gills lakes worth driving too?? Had a friend that use to fish Clam?? Lake and talked about the nice gills.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

yeah, my ice stuff is ready to go too. We’ve already seen some ice in shallowbackwaters around goose island. Just sheets but its still Ice! I’m definitely ready for winter. But still wouldn’t mind hooking a few more nice bass before it gets here. NOt sure if thats gonna happen though

bigpike

Just ordered my new LX-5 form Scott Stiel, I dont think the ice season could start soon enough, in the meantime it will be off to Red Wing Monday morning just to make sure the boat still floats. I have moved my LX-3 into tip up checker status unless it sells- if not that will be one nice tip up checker…..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I suppose I should get my auger down from garage attic. Other than than I ready. Well, I need to put new line on my rods but other than that I’m ready. I can already taste those first ice gills!!!!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Yum, yum

I fired mine up just the other day, again Nothing better than the smell of a good running auger to get in the mood for ice

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

we still got a way to go, but I am extremely excited. I bought an aquavu last night on Ebay, the gear is all organized, etc. all we need is a little ice. Accuweather.com is showing that we won’t be on ice by thanksgiving here in the La Crosse area, but the last 4 days of the forcast aren’t looking too bad. we should be making a little ice by then at least. accuweather 15 day forcast

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I bought an aquavu last night on Ebay

Cool beans Cade. I would like to check out what the view looks like in the river

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

when you boys up north get some good fishable ice before us, let me know im willing to drive to ice fish, im about goin more crazy as each day passes
    -Aaron
    BRING ON THE ICE!!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It is going to be a while again this year. Unseasonably warm weather bites
    You will hear the word when it gets here

Bret

emover
    Malcom, IA

Quote:

the word

??
    Bret I’m thinking when it gets here, everyone in about a 3 state area will hear the entire freakin celebration

dave

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Dodge Boy and I should be standing on ice this weekend if I don’t come down to finish the duck season on the Miss. If I am down there, I know Dodge will be on the ice without me!!!

Mark

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Dodge Boy….don’t make me make you go sit in the truck

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

7 degrees this morning Making ice for sure the rest of the week. Hope to be on the ice sat. late morning, gonna check things out friday.

Bret when are U and watson gonna make a road trip??

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very good question. I wil start working on that DB

Your not going to make me sit in the truck when I get there…..are you

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Did I hear roadtrip? That would be a blast to fish some new water and heading north

ozzyky
    On water

I just tested about a 1 acre pond in western WI and there is about an inch on it. I still need at least 2 inches before you’ll see me out there. I went through in Frontenac last year, a year ago from this coming weekend. I tested it three times walking out there. 3-4 inches the whole way out and then I took 5 steps past another guys tip-up and down I went. (Ice wasn’t even discolored in this spot to reveal a spring) A little disappointed that I won’t get to go this weekend because of grad. class. Hopefully I won’t miss out on too much and the bite will still be going strong next weekend.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Western Wi, 1″? Where in western wisconsin? We got some skim going, and it held all day (obviously, it only made it up around 18 where i’m at) but not an inch yet. Thats on the river backwaters. The neighbors pond had NOTHING yet which is kind of a bummer. I figure that stupid thunder storm we had on tues. along with 60* was what killed it. We’d have an inch by now in a lot of spots without the warming which bumped the water up to 43-45 degrees Well anyway, the cold is here now, and it won’t be long at least! !

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I know there is no inch where I want to start. To much wind yet, but the cold weather is a very good start I’m sure parts of goose are getting hard on top and possibly Fisherman’s Rd.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I can back up the ice in in Western WI, Trempeleau area to be exact. I was walking on it this afternoon Crystal clear and beautiful. It sure felt good to be on the hardwater again. If this weather keeps up, the rest of us will be on the ice in no time.

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

Western Wi, 1″? Where in western wisconsin? We got some skim going, and it held all day (obviously, it only made it up around 18 where i’m at) but not an inch yet.

Quote:

A local pond around Ellsworth. Access to this pond is restricted but I manage to venture out on it a couple times a winter. Tested it again at 6:30 last night and it’s still holding steady at an inch.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Wow thats awesome wats, and trempeleau is only 20-30 miles north of where i fish… how much ice were you walking on wats?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Today I was walking on about 1.5″. Still not quite ready to walk out very far, but it is building. This was down in Goose Island Of course you need a boat to get there and it isn’t deep enough to fish in

jld
    Holmen

I am hoping the Sailboat Club by next weekend but then I have to go to Florida for a week after next weekend so I will be missing the best time . Oh well, some of the other honey holes should be prime and ready the week before Christmas.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.