When can we reasonably start ice fishing?

• TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

When do you guys think we can reasonably start ice fishing this year?

millelacsjumbos
    Minnesota

I’ve been thinking the same thing for the past month! That depends on where you are, and what kind of gear you have. I would say that we can be out on the ice on Mille Lacs with a portable on or around the first weekend in December. We will probably be out there with vehicles by the 3rd weekend, or right around Christmas.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

As soon as we get 2-3″ of clear ice Hopefully before Thanksgiving this year

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I made it the first weekend in december. I believe it was december 4th. But that was with open water on the shoreline and 2″ in the middle w/ spots less than an inch. Even though its been cold, i don’t see us getting on before thanksgiving

eyebuster
    Duluth

Have been out early Nov in Ely!! We did nt even have our Ice fishing stuff up there yet!! we threw rocks into the air to puch holes and used regular Rods!

Yes there was alot of involved!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I was on Gull Lake in the boat on Thanksgiving last year and across the highway on Round Lake they were ice fishing in the bay. Come on ICE!!!!
    We need a winter like the one about 6 years ago. I was on the ice down here in Nebraska on Thanksgiving day!!!!!!

hof
    Rochester, MN

I just got home from a dealer’s show where they had tons of ice fishing stuff. I’m pumped and ready to hit the ice! It appears to be a cooler than normal type of fall so far, so I’m hoping to be ice fishing on the Mississippi backwaters by Thanksgiving.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

I made it the first weekend in december. I believe it was december 4th. But that was with open water on the shoreline and 2″ in the middle w/ spots less than an inch. Even though its been cold, i don’t see us getting on before thanksgiving

That just sounds dumb right there!!! Why would you put yourself in that kind of jeopredy? Just be safe. Follow the DNR suggested guidlines.

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

I have been on ice every turkey day for the last 12+ years.Many years I’ve been on 1-2 weeks before.Don’t get me wrong,still a lot of open lakes BUT, still a lot of frozen lakes too.Have the will and you will find the way.I usually luck out and stay within the tri-county areas.

Great site guy’s,keep up the good work.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Welcome to IDA Greg

dave

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

yeah i know it was dumb. but we were dumb in 2 ft of water along with the 20 or so other guys out there. trust me, we would have been walking away if nobody was out. I figure if the ice can hold 20 adults, many over 200 lbs, than it can hold me, just over 145. I’m sure if you ask around, you’d here stories of guys on less than that…Talk to Luke Haugland about the ice he was on last winter!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Welcome to the site Greg
    I would love to be on the ice by Turkey Day. I am not sure if it will happen in our area, but we can sure hope so

bigpike

They had a picture in the local rag of Lake Pokegama up in Chetak, ice forming in the back bays…….it wont be long

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

Hey, thanks for the welcome guy’s. I was in N.D. waterfowl hunting from 10/12 – 10/23 and had to bust 3/4″ of ice on 3 days just to set out the decoys. The rest of the days we set up in the field’s but, I am more than certain the sloughs had ice on some of those mornings as well.
    Bow to the ice Gods

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Another inch and a half and I could have been fishing there Believe me, I am praying for ice daily

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

WATSON… I like your style. You ever hear of the “Squeak Cheek Shuffle” ? You would like this one for sure.

Greg

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The squeak cheek shuffle is when Pats tight @ss is walking around on the lake.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

yeah i know it was dumb. but we were dumb in 2 ft of water along with the 20 or so other guys out there. trust me, we would have been walking away if nobody was out. I figure if the ice can hold 20 adults, many over 200 lbs, than it can hold me, just over 145. I’m sure if you ask around, you’d here stories of guys on less than that…Talk to Luke Haugland about the ice he was on last winter!

Hmm…interesting. Could you tell us more about it?

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

You do know him huh Derek? ha ha that was good.You ever go out that early?Very safe just a matter of how wet/cold you really want to be.Seems I’ll shuffle atleast 1-2 times a year in early season and about the same at the end.

We’re going to have a fun winter this year Derek. woooo hoooo

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

My 265 pound frame does not allow me to do the Sqeaky Cheek.

GregKorynta
    Columbia Heights,MN

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH, very good point.Way to go with that common sense.When I was 16-18 yrs old I came in at 125lb.Boy those were the days,years.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

ah, it was cold. december 4th. It was a goose island backwater less than 3 ft deep. we were about 50 feet from the shoreline and road access. there were adults around to help us (if something bad happened). we spudded our way to the spot. We caught some nice bluegills. We left, and nobody got hurt. What else would you like to know?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

That just sounds dumb right there!!! Why would you put yourself in that kind of jeopredy?

It may be dumb to some, but not to other’s. Some of us like to live a little on the edge I for one enjoy ice fishing and want to get out there as soon as possible. What the DNR has for guidelines are exactly that, “guidelines”. If I choose to walk on 2-3″ ice, that is a choice I make for myself. But, at the same time, we have to use common sense and not get ourselves in too much trouble. Most of the early ice is shallow bays. I usually start fishing in 3-5 fow, enough to get wet and cold, but not so deep I can’t get out if I happen to fall through

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Ah the old how much ice and you guys are dumb conversation
    My best advise is, if you are scared of thin ice stay off it. Just because I choose to fish it doesn’t make me nuts. I myself make me nuts
    First ice is the best ice for pool 8 gills and that’s where I will be. With that said, I’m not close to 265 Derek.
    If it stays like his, there is a chance we could be on hard water Thanksgiving around LaCrosse

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.