When to move the ice coverage?

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

First night of 40 degree temps in Minneapolis, MN!

I was trying to decide when to move our ice forums to the Community Forums for more prominent coverage. Shouldn’t be more than a couple weeks the way the weather is headed.

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Jim I know you guys are fishing a month or more before us fishers out east, but were always thinking of ice

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Talking frost up here sat and sun night.
    Can’t wait for that cold weather.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Jim I know you guys are fishing a month or more before us fishers out east, but were always thinking of ice

In a rare year we can get on the ice after Thanksgiving. More often than not it seems like we have to wait a week or so in December before we can get out.

Keep your eyes peeled guys. When it hits 40 degrees in Mpls, MN. And I don’t care if it is 49.999′.

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Sometimes were a week or so in January

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

In January he is still waxing Dustin’s boat hull so the ice don’t stick to it so easy.

Ha! Good one. Dustin’s boat hasn’t seen a vacuum in years let alone a waxing… lol

cny tim
    Rome, NY

Sounds like my fishing van. My wife can’t bear to drive it and when she ‘s forced to out comes the Glade air freshener and she baby wipes the steering wheel.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Trucks are only to be cleaned twice a year. Once in the fall we CLEAN out the summer fishing stuff, add guns for hunting and begin to put ice fishing stuff in. FL-18 gets mounted to the dash, GPS gets mounted to the ashtray, marine band radio goes in and the panic bars on top in the back become rod holders.

Then in the spring we CLEAN out the winter stuff and add the summer tackle. It never fails that during this cleaning I ALWAY find a minnow or two and a couple boxes of waxies some place in there. Just follow the smell. This method of cleaning sure keeps the wife from using the truck when her car is low on gas!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sure… now ya’ got me started on Dustin’s boat!

This is the guy that still has crankbaits hanging from the bow carpet in January, 3″ of worm bedding blown up under the console and moldy sandwhiches “hidden” in compartments throughout.

Waxed hull. Tom, you kill me.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Jim……………. I got something for U 2 wax .

Thanks to the informant that turned me on to this thread

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Spent the morning at a football game

Spent the afternoon at a football game….

Froze my off…

It’s time

ICE COVERAGE…….smell it, it’s in the air

icejockey

The low temps hit the forties up here in northern mn. Its time!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Wouldn’t it be great to be on the ice before Thanksgiving this year I am almost ready to hit the ice. All I have to do to be ready is drag the Trap Pro out of the shed, grab my MarCum , and hit the ice running It is possible right

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Wats i could see my breath this morning when i went out the door to go to school. It may not be cool enough yet to make some ice but it’s getting me pumped up for hunting this weekend! But my dad says that by the looks of the farmers alminac it’s supposed to be a long, cold, snowy winter

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

BK-I have heard from quite a few people talking about the Farmer’s Almanac predictions for a cold winter. Don’t know how accurate they are, but I sure hope they are

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Please no mention of snow!!! UNTIL, we have ten feet of ice- then it can snow all it wants!!!!

cny tim
    Rome, NY

That’s the thing about being out east in the snow belt some years we have to wait til the 1st week of January because of the lake effect snow that prevails here. If we can get a good black 3″ base started that’s a plus for us out here. Some years you have to be strong like bull when your pulling by hand through those 3′ drifts.

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Quote:

Quote:

In January he is still waxing Dustin’s boat hull so the ice don’t stick to it so easy.

Ha! Good one. Dustin’s boat hasn’t seen a vacuum in years let alone a waxing… lol

I don’t believe he has time to Vacuum or Wax, he is fishing all the time. Can’t waist time cleaning when you could be fishing.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What can I say… I got sick of waiting.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Nice work..here we are back at the top

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

WOW, I almost fainted I got so used to seeing the Ice Forum under the Seasonal Forum and it wasn’t there Good thing I found it
    The last weather report I saw was this morning. It is going to be chilly around here in a hurry. High for Monday is only going to be 50, with lows approaching the upper 30’s later in the week.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

ya…….thanks alot guy’s!! I’m headed to Lake of the Woods next week, and you get this up and now I see the weather forcast!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.